Honda 100, dies when cover is on?

I just purchased a mid-1980's (any idea how I can tell what year?) 10hp Honda. It runs great, has the neat electrical output on it, starts up easy. I used it for 4 days last weekend.. and suddenly it started dying out. When I took the cover off of it... it ran great.. the second you put the cover on it'd start to die out unless you took it back off again... it still runs great, just looks silly without a cover on it.. plus I don't want water sprayed on it.

Any ideas what could cause this???

Thanks!

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda 100, dies when cover is on?

Either an exhaust leak is polluting the air inside, or some sort of blockage preventing air from entering. Typical air intake is on the back of the hood where you grab to tilt it.

If there was an exhaust leak.. enough where the second you put the cover back on.. it'd die out, wouldn't it be incredibly loud?

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

If there was an exhaust leak.. enough where the second you put the cover back on.. it'd die out, wouldn't it be incredibly loud?

I suppose it could be loud but this is a typical problem.And from your description "starts to die out"
I've seen this described on the forums lots of times with no mention of exhaust noise.
Perhaps the cover is rubbing on the plug wires??

JUSTINTIME

Captain

got the frame number,engine number,or carb number?
shoot me a pm, i have the manuals for u

Old Century Guy

Recruit

I have the exact same problem with an early 90s 8hp, were you able to track down the problem. I had the exaust manifold off to do a repair to the oil pan, for me it could be the exaust seal, it wasn't in grat shape when I reassembled it. I figured so at the worst it's a little loud?