40 hp Tohatsu year

dagonative

Recruit
I have a 40 hp Tohatsu and was wondering the year M40C 361A 89751.

I also was wondering if it is normal for a thick oil discharge to come out of what I believe are the exhaust holes. I notice it when I get home. It normally drips once or twice on my floor. Then is done. It is very thick....

Thank you!!

jnewtonsem

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 40 hp Tohatsu year

You may bad water pump seals in the lower unit. LU oil will drip out of the water intake and down the LU. Easy fix, but needs attention

dagonative

Recruit

Thank you!! I am having the impeller replaced next week, is this something they can easily fix while they are replacing the impeller?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

If that drip is dark black it's completely normal for two-stroke outboards. Carburetored two-stroke engines use that motorleg cavity above th lower unit as part of the ehaust system. It is filled with water while the engine is running and a lot of the exhaust vapor dumps into it. When you pull the engine out of the water some of the unburned fuel/oil mixture sticks to the side and slowly drains out hours later. Usually it's just a couple of drops. If the residue is grey or looks like motor oil you do have a leak. I'll run the year and let you know what they say.

ArtB

Seaman Apprentice

Yes. Black, sticky goo out of the exhaust - normal. A few years ago, I put my 15 hp Johnson up for sale. It had always been a very good motor and I was shocked when the potential buyer came over and there was that B S G.
I thought, Oh my god, I can't sell it that way. The buyer was more familiar with the situation than I was and he said "No problem" and bought it. My Nissan 40C sometimes does the same thing so I no longer worry about it.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

There is no record of an engine with that serial number in the database. But, a lot of the Tohatsu labeled engines before 96 are not in it. So, if it's blue and silver its from 1992 and before. If it's grey it's from 1993 to 1995.