Honda BF45 alarm problems

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class
A week or so back I posted this-

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=196975

I have since used a fiberoptic bore scope to peek up the water tube from water pump to powerhead, found it clear- then looked up the exhaust tube, again clear, and in the thermostat hole, and cylinders. NO signs of water intrusion.

I used a solution called Trac Buster, a biodegradeable solution that eats scale and growth- with the lower unit removed (water pump was good too) I plugged the water tube, I removed the thermostat cover and thermostat, and filled the powerhead with this stuff, figuring I had nothing to loose and perhaps a piece of impeller or something was lodged in a coolant passage possibly restricted by salt growth and crud in the passages (this was a salt water used engine prior to my getting it)

It sizzled and bubbled like crazy! Now the aluminum when you look in the thermostat port is clear as new aluminum. I reassembled everything but left out the 'stat (what did I have to loose?) and by eyeball it flows a LOT more water on the flusher.

Took the boat out- as soon as you advance into gear, "BEEP BEEP BEEP!" but the engine is NOT running hot, using an infared heat gun while another person drives the boat and I have the cowling off I got 176* at the base of the temp alarm sensor with 75* river water. As far as oil pressure? Well I did not have a gauge on it, but I theorize if I had that low of oil pressure I would have slug a rod out the side of the thing by now.

Unhooking the wire from the temp switch does not stop the alarm, nor does unhooking the oil switch wire.

NOW- after a lot of start, stop, operation from idle to WOT up and down current, the alarm finally started the steady tone, and "de rated" or hit the rev limiter to power it down.

I will get out my service manual, but am now firmly in belief there is not a powerhead problem or an over heat. I have some sort of electrical ghost.

What do the Iboats gurus have to offer?

Eric in Savannah

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda BF45 alarm problems

UPDATE- I did some reading in the manual once I had a chance and did a search on this board- turns out the beeping was an alarm for "trim" being too high. I have no trim sensor! Nope, just a plug one would connect to. So I searched the wire diagram and unhooked the wire that feeds the alarm.

However, that does not explain the long, continuous alarm I eventually got, the alarm that cuts the power.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

cutting power is either oil or temp
do u have the service manual?

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I have a factory service manual but it's a bit confusing to me. there is a proceedure to test the CDI unit by ohming out the various 3,764 wires. :eek:

(IF you get an alarm and IF you have no overheat/low oil pressure)

I do not even want to think how much the CDI would be......

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Anybody got any suggestions, other than going back to my old Lark III Evinrude?

Skinnywater

Commander

You're really going to have to diagnose the engine temp sensor circuit and the oil pressure sensor circuit.
Both of these circuits cause the alarm to sound AND cut engine power.

EricR

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, I know it's in the circuit somewhere.... I have gotten a really good reccomendation of someone to take it to by a local Yamaha tech I have known for a long time at the marinas.

The embarasing thing about this is I work all day on Cats, Deeres, Luggers, and MAN's on big yachts and smaller diesel boats taking care of people's problems, and here I am stumped on this thing. Taking it to someone. I had a long talk with the guy on the phone and he feels it is either some obstruction in a water jacket, or a failure of the alarm curcuit. EIther way, I'm taking it to the guy on the trailer Monday night, and handing the guy a hundred bucks up front weather he wants it or not. I have a 13 yr old daughter that lives in Tampa with her mom (first marriage) who's coming for a month and a half and I just want the thing runnning ya know?

Dave Fong

Recruit

I have identical problem/symptoms with my BF45. Anyone know the solution

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Look very very carefully at both the upper wp housing and the lower wp base.If either is disstorted that can cause your exact symptoms.BTW that 176 degree measurement is too hot for this engine.

Last edited: