03 Honda 9.9 Overheats at idle / troll only.

csmileyod

Recruit
I purchased a used 03 honda 9.9 remote outboard. On the first launch overheat alarm went off. I noticed no pee out the pee hole. Later, I found the water pump propeller to be toast and I replaced it and the thermostat.

Next boat trip the thing operated great until I started trolling / idling for 3+ minutes the overheat warning goes off. Unlike, when the water pump prop was bad when you power down and restart you are good to go for another 3 minutes. I never overheats any other time but idle speed.

I used an air compresser and checked for any blockages, there are none. I replaced the water temp sensor. Still does it, but I get about 4 minutes before overheat.

There is definetly pee coming out, however it is a bit slower at idle. The pee feels warm when the alarm goes off, not scalding hot?

Other than trading the motor for a new one any suggestions???

JUSTINTIME

Captain
Re: 03 Honda 9.9 Overheats at idle / troll only.

did the impeller break off or just worn out?

csmileyod

Recruit

The old impeller was shredded.

I recently took things apart again to re-evaluate the water pump. It appears that the old shredded impeller melted and is caked up in the upper impeller housing. Most likely partially restricting water flow. Air compresser doesn't fix. A sharp knife is not able to scrape the stuff out -- hence I have a new one on order. Hopefully that is it?

Lesson:
Its probably not a bad idea to spend the extra $25 bucks for the whole impeller kit when the old impeller shreads. The hassle I am going through really sucks. Wasted too much money on numerous shipping charges and buying parts I really didn't need (Water temp sensor, thermostat).

The good:
I still spent less $ than the dealer would have charged me, and I didn't have to wait 6 weeks to get a service appointment! Oh yea, I can drop the lower unit in 2 minutes flat -- NASCAR for boats? :redface:

JUSTINTIME

Captain

Lesson:
Its probably not a bad idea to spend the extra $25 bucks for the whole impeller kit when the old impeller shreads. The hassle I am going through really sucks. Wasted too much money on numerous shipping charges and buying parts I really didn't need (Water temp sensor, thermostat).

yes, i always replace housings when doing impeller repair, if it looks good i save them for another date