Honda BF115 won't start -- electrical?

sunedog

Cadet
2001 Honda BF115 motor has run flawlessly.

1. Last weekend, wife brought it home and said the red battery light on the console was lit while running. I walked out to the dock and it was still lit with the motor off. But it started right up for me and the light went out.

2. Yesterday, went back to boat for first time since last weekend and noticed key was in center "run" position instead of left side "off" position. The engine would not crank and none of the gauges would budge. The tack was indicating 6K RPM's. Put a meter on the battery and it was very discharged (around 2 volts). Figured leaving the key in the run position had the gauges energized all week so it ran down the battery. Put a charger on it over night.

3. Went out this morning. Battery voltage read 12.59 volts (after charger disconnected.) Engine cranked, fired, ran for a few seconds and then stalled. That's normal for this motor. Turned key again and it cranked for a couple of seconds and then click-click-click......classic sound of a weak/dead battery. Battery voltage indicated 12.16 volts. Battery is from Nov 2004 so it's only about 30 months old.

Do you think the battery is faulty? I was surprised 12.16 volts dod not start the motor.

If you don't think that's it, can you suggest a debugging path? I know the motor has fuel and spark because it ran for a couple of moments this morning. I think I can rule out the connections to the battery and the main fuse for the same reason.

Thanks in advance,
sunedog

tommays

Admiral
Re: Honda BF115 won't start -- electrical?

Yes at 12.16 after a full recharge it is pretty dead a good battery would hold around 12.6 + and would float around 13.5 + right after the charger was done

You can get it tested when you take it down for a new one

Tommays

sunedog

Cadet

Thanks Tommays. A poster on another forum suggested checking battery voltage under load (while engine is cranked). Did that. It read under 6V so that apparently indicates battery is shot. I'm off to buy a new one.

sunedog

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there was a recall on the 115's and 130's about the main relay(on the engine) causing a "no start" condition...if you'll post your serial number I'll run it and see if it falls in the recall serial range :cool: