Honda 9.9hp throttle and transmission hook up

macsdaddy

Recruit
I'm not the most mechanical guy ever . . .

I've got a 9.9hp 2002 Honda outboard that I can't figure out the connections for the throttle and transmission cables. Both cables go through a rubber gasket thing that is made for them, but slide back and forth when shifting or using the throttle. Also, the connections between the cables and the engines seem to be missing something - there are "Pins" attached to each cable that fit into holes in the throtle and transmission arms, but they can simply fall out - what am I missing!?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Honda 9.9hp throttle and transmission hook up

Is this a hand tiller engine you are trying to set up as a remote model?

csmileyod

Recruit
Re: Honda 9.9hp throttle and transmission hook up

Behind the plastic grommet shoud be a metal control plate that holds the trottle & transmission plates in place. You must have this plate to prevent the cables from moving. Sounds like you are definetly missing this.

I think the pins you are referring to are called "pivots."

You place the pivots into the shift and throttle link arms. The pieces you may be missing are small metal "lock plates" that hold the piviots in the arms.

You should be able to use this link to find a diagram and order missing parts for you model. However you may want to look carefully around the bottom of your motor case as they may be sitting in there hiding!

http://www.boats.net/parts/search.html

BTW: I don't think this Honda system is very good. My throttle cable used to come out of the link frequently -- 6lb fishing line tied around it helped!