90 hp honda trim

timgeary

Recruit
I am trying to find the correct answer to this question. Honda does not have a email to send to, and they rely on parts suppliers to answer. Which I have called and got 5 different answers. I have a 2001 bf90a (90 hp outboard) and want to put a trim gauge in. Does this model come with the sending unit and if not does anybody know part # and cost? And if it does, do I just need cable again, part # and cost and if it comes with everything I guess all I need is to connect cable to gauge.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: 90 hp honda trim

Until someone chimes in with better info let me suggest you look in your owners manuel in the wiring diagram section.
There you might be able to locate the appropriate wire colors, connectors and ultimately the potentiometer. It should be mounted somewhere in the vacinity of the pivot point of your 90.

If the potentiometer is there then the appropriate wires will lead to the remote control box. There should be a pigtail waiting for a simple harness to be made to connect to a meter.

Flakeys

Seaman

If you have a sending unit on your engine, it will be on the rear mount, left side and have 3 wires coming from it. They are Lg/Bl, Y/Bu and Bl. They go into a plug mounted by the CDI electronic control on the engine. From there it connects to the main wiring harness and goes to the control console.

Look for those 3 colored wires at the control connection.

If you don't have the sending unit, the p/n is: 35660-ZW1-003
The gage p/n is: 37260-ZV5-821. Includes the mounting bracket and screws.

Don't have any prices, sorry.

Good luck, hope this helps.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yours should already have the sender...in the 2001 model listing-they don't show any models that didn't have trim...so a sender should be on every one...same for the harness-should have the trim wires... gauge should plug right in :cool:

Flakeys

Seaman

I rechecked the wiring schematic and looked on one of my boats and I gave you a wrong color wire to look for at the console.

You want a Y/Bu, Bl/Y and Bl. The Lg/Bu goes into the CDI module and becomes the Bl/Y (hot) to the gage. The Y/Bu is the signal and the Bl is ground.

All else is he same.