Honda 10 hp looses power

J. Campbell

Recruit
My Honda 10 hp trolling motor starts easily, and runs fine for 100 yards then looses rpm and power and acts like about 4 hp. It will troll smoothly all day but never run at full power after the first 100 yards. The fuel and tank have been changed, lines flushed, compression is good, plugs are good. The water stream is strong. I suspect a cooling problem. Any ideas?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda 10 hp looses power

I suspect a carb. The passages inside are tiny and clog with varnish easily.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

My guess is you may be losing spark to one cylinder. Set it up so when she guits you can check the spark,Should be strong blue and snappy.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

do u have the factory manual
if not e-mail me i can help u

winkler63

Cadet
coilspring

coilspring

I have a honda 15hp long shaft;Can anybody tell me how to put back a recoil spring having major trouble:any tips?
:confused:

gss036

Commander

Winkler, start a new seperate thread. I can't help you but I am sure others here can. You need to supply a little more information on which spring and the type of problem.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

My Honda 10 hp trolling motor starts easily, and runs fine for 100 yards then looses rpm and power and acts like about 4 hp. It will troll smoothly all day but never run at full power after the first 100 yards. The fuel and tank have been changed, lines flushed, compression is good, plugs are good. The water stream is strong. I suspect a cooling problem. Any ideas?

Try pulling a plug wire while it's running and see how the motor reacts. If no change, do the other after replacing the first. It sounds like you're running on one cylinder...which it can do pretty easily at idle speed.

Try it and report back.

MAS

Alumarine

Captain

I'm not sure if the 10hp has an oil monitoring system or not but
does it have enough oil in it?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

When you lose power try pulling off the cowling and see if things improve.If they do you have an exhaust leak at the horn under the powerhead.Very common.