Honda BF50 idle speed?

grimpy

Seaman
Just curious as to what the RPM should be at idle for a BF50 Honda outboard? It was idling rough at 750 rpm and I adjusted it to about 1000 rpm and now it idles alot smoother... Is this ok or should I set it lower?

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Honda BF50 idle speed?

The motor idles rough and if I let it sit for a few minutes, it would shut off... It also begins to stutter and shut off when I am going at low throttle... under 1k rpms...

grimpy it's so difficult to really know what's going on with your engine.
The above quote is from another recent thread you started.
Ordinarily setting your idle to 1k isn't a real issue on a BF50 as higher idle limits makes a smoother idle.
Unless your tachometer is off, stalling or shutting off at 750rpm isn't normal. So that leads me to believe you're only putting a band-aid on the problem.

A professional evaluation from any competent technician is strongly recommended.

grimpy

Seaman

skinny thanks for the info...

I searched and read that 900-950 rpm is where I want to be or else it would idle funny... However these were for differ hp ratings...

As for the other post, the outboard shut off on the outting prior to it. It was also the second time I took the boat out and first time I actually tried trolling. The first time I just cruised around at 5 mph most of the time.

My next outting after that post, I used my other gas tank and it kept idling rough but I trolled around for about 3 hours without it shutting off.

Not sure what the deal is but I'm going to try to set the idle to 950 rpm and take it out this weekend to see how it does.

Also, I sent a letter to Honda requesting for them to transfer the warranty over to me from the original owner. Not sure how long it would take for them to respond/approve of it but once I get it taken cared of, I will definately take it to an authorized Honda dealer to check it out.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

950 +/- 50 rpm
if still shakes u might need carb rebuilds and/or re-sync

grimpy

Seaman

quick update...

Looks like the original owner adjusted the idle speed too low to slow the boat down...

I adjusted it so that when I put it in gear, idle speed... it is right around the 900-950 range. Motor idles great now. Also trolled around for abour five hours without any problems.

Thanks again for the help guys.