Honda 50 Ticking/Whirly Sound part 2

louish67

Cadet
I've found the problem! After taking the flywheel off yet again and looking at it through a magnifier it turns out that the corner of one of the magnets is separating a hairline distance from the flywheel on one of the magnets.

WillyBWright suggested that the flywheel may be rubbing on the coil and he's correct. The corner of one of the magnet has a light scrape that's hard to detect unelss you really looked at it. Sure enough, there's also a scratch on one of the coils that's also hard to detect.

My (new) question is:

1) do I need to replace the entire flywheel or is there a glue that I can use to reglue the corner back to the flywheel?

2) if i leave it alone does it matter?

3) if i remove the magnet (there's 5-6 under the flywheel) or sand the separated portion of the magnet down would that cause any problem to the coils/eletric components?

Skinnywater

Commander
Re: Honda 50 Ticking/Whirly Sound part 2

Good job of Willie calling that one.

1) do I need to replace the entire flywheel or is there a glue that I can use to reglue the corner back to the flywheel?

2) if i leave it alone does it matter?

3) if i remove the magnet (there's 5-6 under the flywheel) or sand the separated portion of the magnet down would that cause any problem to the coils/eletric components?

You need all those magnets.
It would matter to me enough to take the time to prep the site under the magnet, JB weld it and clamp it back into place. I'd use care when clamping and allow the JB weld to setup for days.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda 50 Ticking/Whirly Sound part 2

Hard part is going to be getting the magnet off in one piece. Very brittle. Use heat on the outside of the flywheel, but protect the other magnets with a wet rag to keep them cool. Mark which way it was mounted. Mercury offers an epoxy for those, but JB should work just fine.