2000 Honda 8hp 4 stroke- Is the impeller working?

bigislandcat

Recruit
I just bought this 2000 Honda 8hp 4 stroke outboard. I don't have a manual. I am concerned about the amount of water flowing through the engine. When it runs at an idol, the water just barley flows. When I crank up the speed, it starts to flow but it does not get stronger as I increase the speed. It seems to be just a a gentle flow - not strong. Any suggestions on how to proceed? Thanks, pt

MOTION LINE

Seaman
Re: 2000 Honda 8hp 4 stroke- Is the impeller working?

I have an similar engine which suffered from the same low waterflow, the engine seemed to run hot to me so I had a closer look.
Localized the problem under the crankcase, removed the case turned it upside down and removed the debris from the water channels,. now it works pretty well.
I later had a look at several engines of the same type
found out that is is a very common problem with theese engines, can lead to massive corrosion due to high temperatures in the cylinderhead, you have to buy a set of gaskets, expensive spare parts.

bigislandcat

Recruit
Re: 2000 Honda 8hp 4 stroke- Is the impeller working?

Thanks - sounds like a good winter project. I talked to a mechanic and he said that mud dobbers like to nest and lay eggs in the exit hole. I followed his advice and augered it out with a coat hanger - it seems to be flowing better. I used air pressure to blow it out. Cheers for the good advice pt