Winterizing a Honda 90 hp

Jim Thacker

Cadet
I have read the posts related to winterizing and am a bit confused (it really does not take much for me to be confused). I once fogged and had a hell of a time starting the engine the next year and had to take it in to a dealer. I then went back to what I used to do as a kid and just run the engine dry.

So, is either OK or do you really need to fog to keep the inside of the carberator lubed. Or is running dry as good. If fogging is necessary what did I do wrong or is it always a problem starting the next year?

I will put stabilizer in on my last trip out (this thanksgiving in Canada) but do not do a full tank as my rationale has been that even though it is stabilized, by only having a few gallons in the tank (and it is an internal tank that I cannot get at [Lund 1776 ProV]) so in the spring I can add new gas which is fresher. Is this dumb and should I fill right up. It is a 25 gallon tank. Is condensation that big an issue?

I do change the oil and filter (it is a 4 stroke) as well as the lower unit. Is that all that I need to do?

SandBeachProfessor:=d:)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winterizing a Honda 90 hp

Fogging an engine is essential when layed up as long as yours (and my) engines are. If your engine is fuel injected you definitely do not want to run it dry which is probably why it started hard. If its a carbureted engine, running it dry does not cause all carbs to empty at the same rate nor do they empty completely. Hence with more empty space, the more room there is for condensation and varnish to form. Treat the fuel and it shouldn't matter whether the tank is full or empty. Be aware that ethanol blended fuel tends to absorb moisture so a full tank would be best if you use E10. I also suggest that you run SeaFoam or a similar product in your fuel at regular intervals to keep the fuel system clean. SeaFoam is the product most recommended on this board. I use it in every engine I own.

Jim Thacker

Cadet

Thanks for the information, particularly about this seafoam, which I have never heard of. I will put it in my gas this time around. I assume when you say all your engines that I should use it in my snowmobiles as well.

This is a great place to learn from....thanks again

SteveRay

Petty Officer 1st Class

So then why does the Honda manual indicate draining the bowls for layup?