Honda 2004 BF20

stanstv

Cadet
Horrible cold starts - dealer changed electric choke heater twice and still has same problem. Anybody else out there with this problem -- COLD START, will start immediately, goes into fast idle but doesn't stay long enough, comes down to normal idle very fast then stalls, sometimes will start again and sometimes not. Terrible Problem! Hopefully I'm not the only bf20 owner out there with this electric choke problem .

eipeldau

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda 2004 BF20

Hi,
I have an outboard exactly like yours and EXACTLY the same problem with cold starts. I tried electrically disconnecting the valve and then it started and warmed up beautifully. Of course, I had to reconnect it after the engine is warm. Before I first disconnected the valve, I used to have 3 seconds before stalling. Now I currently have around 15 seconds. After that, the rpm drops dramatically to an "as already warm" level andpretty often the engine dies.
On an old previous post of yours, you mentioned you had the valve replaced and that the problem would have been solved, except for your particular condition, needing a lower than recommended idle speed. Is that right? If you could run idle at 900+-50 rpm, would the problem be solved?
Thank you very much!