hep replacing impeller on 1984 honda 7.5 4stroke

phish tale

Recruit
I Am trying to put replace the impeller in 1984 7.5 honda 4 stroke and can't get the lower unit to drop off after unbolting. The rod going up to the shifter is holding me. How do you release the rod so the lower unit will drop on off so I can get to the impeller... or do I need to?
Any help or pics on getting to the impeller would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

gss036

Commander
Re: hep replacing impeller on 1984 honda 7.5 4stroke

About 1/2 down the lower unit you should be able to see the shift rod going through the leg. There is a long nut and a jam nut on the shift shaft. (I think you will need to shift into reverse to raise the shaft up to gain access) Loosen the jam nut and then unscrew the long nut and it will seperate shift rod.
If that does not work you will need to disconnect it at the top end, you should be able to find it by shifting back and forth and see where and how it is connected. You willl need to take out the carter key and pull out the pin that connects the shift shaft. It will probably require a long needle nose pliers. I tell you all this based on my mid 90's 15hp Honda, so hopefully they are the same.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: hep replacing impeller on 1984 honda 7.5 4stroke

I just had my 1982 Honda apart to relace the pump. If you need some help call me 319 227-7427 I live in Iowa, USA.