Honda BF150 Vibration & Chattering in Trolling gear

Mako212

Recruit
Hello everyone, I recently purchased a 2006 Mako212 center console equipped with a Honda BF150 4 stroke motor. When I took the boat out for a ride, at idle the engine runs very smooth and quiet. Once I engage it into the first gear setting (trolling speed) the engine shakes and chatters but then if you give it a lil more throttle it all clears up and runs smooth. The dealer's technician that I bought the boat from says that Honda uses the same gearing in the 150 as the 200hp model, so the 150 doesnt handle the lower rpm good because of the gearing being to big. I checked Honda's site and seen the gearing in the 200 is different from the 150. Do any of you have this same motor and are experiencing the same thing I am? Is this normal for the BF150 or should I take it in for service? I have a 5 year warranty on the motor. Just sucks that if this is a problem I have to take a new boat in for service before I can actually use it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you

jnewmanco1

Cadet
Re: Honda BF150 Vibration & Chattering in Trolling gear

I just bought a 21' Bay Stealth with the same motor and mine does the same thing. The dealer showed me this when we were out on a trial run. Just bumped a hair more throttle and it stops. There is nothing "wrong" that can be "fixed" by a service call...at least I don't think. It's not a big deal to me.

Mako212

Recruit

Thanks for your input, at least now I know I'm not the only one experiencing this. So it has to be normal.

imported_Curmudgeon

Chief Petty Officer

So it has to be normal.

I wouldn't assume that at all. If it's a known problem (and the 150 has been around for awhile now), why would Honda not tweak the ECM to provide that tad bit of extra RPM? If bumping the idle up is, indeed, what you have to do to get a smooth idle in gear, I'd have the dealer run the idle adjustment procedure to raise the RPM to the appropriate setting.

Mako212

Recruit

Any other opinions on this? Any info would help.

Skinnywater

Commander

Dry splines at the driveshaft where it engages into the primary gears may be the cause.

42whaler

Recruit

Guess What,

I have the same problem.
I expected a smooth idle, thats why i bought a honda.

I was hoping to be able to troll at idle speed with live bait as slow as possible.

But then we ran into this same:'( problem, I noticed it the very first 10 seconds we lanched the boat.
My dealer has tried everything he could think of including, 8 different props, including the power tech cushion lok hub, same thing. Also tried a different lower unit. Again same thing.
I wanted a different engine as its brand new but Honda Corp would'nt budge.

As far as dry splines is that at the lower unit where that long shaft meets the lower unit?

Thats something we have'nt tried.

42whaler

Recruit

Hey Mako 212 why don't you post this on thehull truth.com

It would be good to see iam not the only one with this same problem. That way lots of others including Honda Corporation can see that they may have a bigger problem then they are letting on.

Good luck

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

any of you with the problem that run in saltwater should have the driveshaft bushing in the midsection checked....it's a rubber bushing with a brass insert and we've seen some corrosion issues where corrosion builds up between the rubber and the midsection housing and puts a squeeze on the driveshaft 8)

grimpy

Seaman

I have an 06 BF50 with the same symptoms. Did you guys figure out what the exact problem is yet?

Skinnywater

Commander

grimpy said:
I have an 06 BF50 with the same symptoms. Did you guys figure out what the exact problem is yet?

It goes away after a heavy coating of stiff marine grease is placed on the driveshaft splines where they engage into the primary gearset. The primary gearset is at the very bottom of the powerhead.

Everytime I serviced my waterpump I'd put more on.

JUSTINTIME

Captain

it also could be sync also
or thrust washer
i just asked the dealer training guy