Honda BF225 Check Engine/ EFI Alarm

Lately on my starboard engine the red check engine light and audible alarm has gone off - within 15 mins after starting the engine while boat is still in the slip. Shutting off, and restartingthe engine seems to clear the fault - at least for awhile.

The manual states that this is an Electronic Fuel Injection alarm - which led me to inspect the fuel filter - but they seem clean and normal. Engine has about 250 hours, just had it serviced at about 220 hours.

Any ideas? Thanks.

chuckdd

Cadet
Re: Honda BF225 Check Engine/ EFI Alarm

Is this also the oil or temp light?

ChuckD

ChuckD - No, this is a light/alarm on the key panel that according to the manual is an EFI alarm - relating to the fuel injection system.

There are other indicators for temp and oil that are reading normal.

Thanks for the response.

D

DJ

It is probably telling you that you have a fuel restriction.

The best way to easily diagnose is to hook the engine up to a known good/clean portable tank and try. By pass the fuel filter, for the test.

OBMD

Seaman Apprentice

Honda does not have a fuel restriction sensor! Take you rmotor to your dealer and have tehm hook-up the HDS

ianda

Cadet

@@5's have a habit of pulling water up the exhaust causing damage to the oxygen sensor,from the symptoms you describe this is your problem.A dealer will be able to confirm and rectify this

ianda

Cadet

225's have a habit of pulling water up the exhaust causing damage to the oxygen sensor,from the symptoms you describe this is your problem.A dealer will be able to confirm and rectify this problem through the self diagnostic system.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

there are 13 different things that can set off the alarm...check your water separating fuel filter mounted on the motor-unscrew the filter and dump the contents into a clear plastic bowl and inspect for contamination...if nothing-then go to your dealer :cool:

dyal911

Recruit

I own a honda 225 and just had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they said it was the o2 sensor. It was replaced under warranty. However, I have another problem. My 225 stalls every once in a while. The dealer said that was a defective primer bulb. They replaced it, but it is still stalling. Just wondering if you have had the same problem.

v70cat

Cadet

I am having the same problem with my 06 Honda 225 with 60 hours on it.

It is the port engine the engine runs fine but I did notice some dirt (running dirty) around the exhaust ports. Guess I got to take to the dealer?

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice

Hi,
If the engine stalls in idle the EACV valve has to be cleaned and put back but if it shows the engine check light and alarm then it is a clear indication of O2 sensor failure engine will also stall in some cases of o2 sensor failure

Regards

v70cat

Cadet

It was the O2 sensor and its due to the exhaust system.

Dealer is replacing/updating exhaust as well as O2 on both engines.

Don't like the problem but is seems like Honda is doing the right thing.

v70cat

Cadet

Pick up boat today and other than paying for lube oil, no charge.

It runs great and back to 2.4 MPG at 28 Knots 3250 RPM

v70cat

Cadet

A year latter with an addtion 60 hours and the engines are running perfect!:D