Honda 2 HP 4 stroke won't start

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 4 stroke Honda 2hp that I use on my tender for my larger boat at the lake. Serial number BAES-1102520. It has always started and run alright, but never great. I leave it in the boat upright when its not in use.

Tried to fire it up this last weekend, and no go. Brought it home, drained the old gas (smelled really old) and soaked the carb and gas tank in Sea Foam for 4 days, draining and replacing every other day. Also replaced the lower unit and crankcase oil while it was in the shop.

Drained the Sea Foam today and filled the tank up. Tried to start it and nothing. Didnt even cough. Loosened the drain plug on the bottom of the carb and drained nearly a tank of gas through it (1 liter) just in case the remaining Sea Foam was making the fuel less combustable. Tried it again and nothing. Pulled the plug and it was wet. Dried and cleaned that off, grounded it to check for spark and it sparked fine. Reassembled and still nothing.

As I said, it has never run as well as it should, even had a couple shops look at it over the years, but they were never able to do any better than it already was. But it always at least started and ran without much effort. Any suggestions before I take all the plastic off of this thing just so I can take the carb apart?

Sorry if this has been adressed before, but since the search function is at present less than quick to read through, I got frustrated before I found anything related. Thanks!

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 2 HP 4 stroke won't start

Hmmmmmm.... you've tried almost everything

I'd have to test compression- my Small Engine guy said that low compression (forwhatever reason) would make an engine hard to start. And if its too low I assume it would not run. Other than that i'm clueless.

PS good to see someone else from central Oregon :)

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That was my thought as well. Just tried it and on the first pull it goes up to about 40 PSI and if you keep pulling for many more times it finaly comes up to 90 PSI and stays there. I imagine that since the displacement is so small, it takes that long just to compress the air in the hose and the gauge enough to get a true reading. I'm not sure what their range is supposed to be, but I would think around 130+. Anyone know for sure? My '65 Merc is right at 90 PSI on all 6 cylinders and it seems to start and run fine. Thanks.

Yup, not too many of us from Oregon here that I have seen, and even fewer from the high deserts of Central Oregon! Not many lakes here, so I guess not as many folks have engine problems, right? d:)

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well- lets seeyou could spray some starting fluid into the carb- if it runs- prolly something in fuel delivery. If it doesen't spray it right into the cylinders. If it pops- something between the gas tank and cylinder.

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hadnt thought of using starting fluid as a diagnostic tool! Gave it a couple quick shots in the carb, opened the choke and low and behold it sputtered for a second when I pulled on it. Tried it again, this time running the throttle all the way up and it sputtered for a bit longer. Since fuel pours out of the bowl when I open the drain, I figure from the tank to the carb works, so it must be a bit deeper in the carb itself. So I guess pulling that and giving it a real cleaning this time will be my next step. Thanks!

coleman kayak1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Now We're getting somewhere. Lets see- logically if you're getting gas to the float bowl and not the carb- i'd start at the float.

firstlight

Cadet

I'll bet you need a new carb. The jet is so small that once it clogs it's all over. Had the same problem with mine, did all you did and more (actually took the carb apart to clean it). Put a new carb on...first pull off and running.

Caddy_Kid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, the passages in the carb on this thing are TINY. And I thought my 5 hp mower carb was small.

Did take all the plastic off the motor to get to the carb and remove it. Took the bowl off and the main jet, which was totally plugged shut. The throttle butterfly was so sticky that even with the return spring on, it just slowly closed. So took everything apart that I could and soaked it overnight in laquer thinner. The next day I blew compressed air through everything that I could and put it back togeather. Started on the second pull, which I'm happy with. Ran it in a bucket and it did well. In hind sight, I could have accessed the main jet by just removing the bowl when it was all still on the motor and not had to fool with all the plastic.

Next time I'm at the lake I'll make the final adjustments to it as I wasnt able to get much over idle or it would boil the water right out of the garbage can, since there is no neutral.

Pumps water like it should, but I was suprised when I got all the plastic off to see that it is really just air cooled. Fan blades on top of the flywheel and cooling fins on the cylinder. What does the water pump actually cool on this thing? Stream never got warm, but the oil sump and the cylinder did. Seems like its just for looks almost.

So it looks like we're good for the rest of this season at least. Who knows what next will bring!

Sea Playn

Recruit

Yes, the passages in the carb on this thing are TINY. And I thought my 5 hp mower carb was small.

Did take all the plastic off the motor to get to the carb and remove it. Took the bowl off and the main jet, which was totally plugged shut. The throttle butterfly was so sticky that even with the return spring on, it just slowly closed. So took everything apart that I could and soaked it overnight in laquer thinner. The next day I blew compressed air through everything that I could and put it back togeather. Started on the second pull, which I'm happy with. Ran it in a bucket and it did well. In hind sight, I could have accessed the main jet by just removing the bowl when it was all still on the motor and not had to fool with all the plastic.

Next time I'm at the lake I'll make the final adjustments to it as I wasnt able to get much over idle or it would boil the water right out of the garbage can, since there is no neutral.

Pumps water like it should, but I was suprised when I got all the plastic off to see that it is really just air cooled. Fan blades on top of the flywheel and cooling fins on the cylinder. What does the water pump actually cool on this thing? Stream never got warm, but the oil sump and the cylinder did. Seems like its just for looks almost.

So it looks like we're good for the rest of this season at least. Who knows what next will bring!

The exhaust tube is water cooled. If the pump fails, the plastic bushings allowing the motor to pivot 360 deg will melt. The quickest way to ruin the impeller is to run the motor out of water, thinking that would be OK because it is "air cooled"
Hugh

pvanv

Admiral

Please DO NOT reply to old threads or hijack existing threads. Old threads of a technical nature are like a library book, Do Not write in them.

1. Old threads should be considered archives and used for reference only. Do not reply to them.

2. Do not take over someone else?s thread (aka hijack) with your own question, even if it is similar. If you have a question that has not been covered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own.

3. If you have a question for the original poster (OP) and the thread is over 30 days old, send the OP a PM, he may not even visit the forums any longer, or may not notice your question in the old thread.

4. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum helpers that may not even notice your question when it?s posted at the end of someone else?s thread. And those answers will be specific to your particular issue.