honda running problem when warmed up

chuckdd

Cadet
Any chance your fuel tank is not venting properly, ie, creating a vacuum?

ChuckD

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: honda running problem when warmed up

I would also geuss ventilation from the fuel tank, or maybe something lying on the fuel line like an anchor etc. it happened to me before .....

chuckdd

Cadet

Could there be an obstruction in the cover? I would call Honda and ask if this is a common problem.

Yeah, sounds like water getting into gear case. According to my manual for 90hp it doesn't look too difficult but I have not needed to do the repair.

ChuckD

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Check the air intake ports in the engine cover to make sure bugs, critters, or whatever haven't plugged it up with debris or that insulating foam hasn't become dislodged and is obstructing air flow.

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman

DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM, BUT I HAVE A 7.5 HONDA, PROBABLY A 1978. IT RAN FINE WITH THE HOOD OFF BUT WOULD LOOSE RPM AND POWER WITH IT ON. THE PROBLEM TURNED OUT TO BE THE EXHAUST PIPE FROM THE BOTTOM OF HEAD TO THE LOWER UNIT HOUSING. THE EXHAUST PIPE CORRODES AWAY LEAKING EXHAUST GASSES INTO THE HOOD, STARVING THE ENGINE FOR AIR. WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING, LOOK BELOW THE CYLINDER HEAD INTO THE LOWER UNIT HOUSING FOR SIGNS OF WATER SPRAY AND EXHAUST GASSES. IF YOU SEE EITHER, THAT'S LIKELY YOUR PROBLEM.