Tilt is dead, Honda 4-stroke 115 HP

niklase

Recruit
Hi,<br /><br />I discovered this morning that the hydraulic tilt was totally dead. Does not move, no sound, not even a click from a relay. The motor works just fine besides that. Is there something I can check myself before sending it to the shop? Like a fuse, relay etc? The engine is a BF115A.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Niklas

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tilt is dead, Honda 4-stroke 115 HP

Yes, there is a 10 amp fuse between the battery and the trim/tilt switch. It should be somewhere near the starter motor and has a white/black wire on both sides. The tie point for the white/black wire to the battery positive looks to be the starter motor terminal or thereabouts; find the white/black wire there and follow it to your fuse. Hope your problem is simply a blown fuse, but if you do find a blown fuse and the replacement also blows then you have a more serious problem (likely a short to ground) somewhere in the circuit. Good luck.

niklase

Recruit

Thanks, after one week of hot and dry wather the tilt miraculously started to work again, which indicates that there was water somewhere shorting a curcuit. A very rare case of an engine healing itself...

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Glad that your problem went away! Even though it's now working, suggest, if you have the time and inclination, that you give your circuit a thorough inspection for any possible entry point for the water that you believe caused the apparent short. It's never a real comfortable feeling when a problem goes away without actually finding and fixing a cause, since you never know if the problem will recur. And Murphy's law says that any recurrence will come at the worst possible time. JMHO; good luck.

chuckdd

Cadet

My '96 BF90 had the Power Tilt Relay go bad and this caused the tilt to only go either down or up ...can't remember since it was a year or two ago. It was easy enough to test using the factory service manual. What killed me was that the assembly has two relays in it and only one was bad and Honda only sells the assembly and it wasn't cheap. Maybe $160 from memory. Good thing is that I kept the one good relay from the first set so now I have a spare for when this happens again. Also, you may want to keep up with your manual tilt valve since mine was corroded shut and is unusable. <br />ChuckD