Cavitation plate (Honda BF 50)

peterv6i

Cadet
I have a new LOMAC 520OK (boat) and Honda BF50L engine.<br />The problem is that the cavitation plate is about 3.5 cm above bottom line.. <br /><br />(the boat (engine plate) is 55 cm long and the Honda BF50L leg is the 52 cm long.. so the cavitation plate is 3 - 3,5 cm above botom line.<br /><br />My question is.. how the engine must be mounted ? In the manual i read that the cavtiation plate must be in line with botom of the boat or max 10 cm below the botom line but mine is 3,5 cm above botom line..<br /><br />My local dealer of Honda say that replace of propeller will chage the problem.. (the problem is thath the air is taken when the trim is on the nullt position.. If I change the trim in "+" the engine goes over speed and my boat lose speed..<br /><br />will the 4 blade proeller resolve the problem (the dealer say thath the problem is in the propeller)?<br /><br />Or <br /><br />I think that the engine leg is too short for my boat.. <br /><br />Here are some images of my boat (the trim position is in the max."negative" position:<br /><br />
lo1.jpg
<br /><br />
lo2.jpg
<br /><br />
lo3.jpg
<br /><br /><br />What you think?<br /><br />My answer is that the local dealer must change the engine with the semi long shaft.. The engine is new with 10 operating hours.

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Cavitation plate (Honda BF 50)

Wow. I would not have thought that the height it is at would make a problem. So, when you are cruising along and look over the transom (while someone else is driving ;) , the cav. plate is completely out of the water? Well, I agree. If this is a brand new boat from a dealer, make him fit the proper size motor - they should know better!

peterv6i

Cadet
Re: Cavitation plate (Honda BF 50)

yes when cruising with boat the plate is out of the water.. so the engine take air and the speed of the boat decrease.. The only way is that the trim is or in a nult position or in "-" position..