Honda BF 9.9 shaft conversion

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice
Can an extra long shaft 2002 Honda 9.9 be easily converted to a regular long or short shaft? In other words, does the extra long shaft come with spacers that can be removed?

dvndog

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda BF 9.9 shaft conversion

What style is the motor, I converted a 2002 classic short shaft to a long shaft. It was pretty easy but trying to find the parts was difficult. If it is a classic I have a short shaft kit from mine. yes it can be done

Rick-Mi

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the reply dvndog. I'm not sure what you mean by what style is it because I didn't realize there was more than one. It's a BF9.9 with an extra long shaft. There is a five inch spacer above the cavitation plate. I'm wondering if the factory uses an extension kit to lengthen a regular long shaft that can simply be removed to convert it back. That would mean a bolt on extension of the drive shaft itself. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question to Honda experts, but I was wondering if there is an easy way to convert it from extra long to long shaft.

dvndog

Seaman Apprentice

Yes will need the exhaust housing off a long shaft along with the shifting rod and drive shaft. Honda dealers do not have or sell a kit to do this so you will have to find the parts yourself.