Honda BF8 hard starting when cold.

dvndog

Seaman Apprentice
When I initially start the motor cold Is there a starting sequence for it that I am missing. Right now I pull the choke out for about 3 pulls and then no choke but it takes about 20-25 pulls this seems alot for the starting of this motor

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda BF8 hard starting when cold.

Go to this link and download the appropriate owner's manual for your outboard (you'll need its serial number). The owner's manual will tell you the starting procedure for your outboard in the Operation section. Didn't you say in your previous post that you were able to start the engine and it runs well at idle? Did something now happen that you can't start it or it won't idle? Just trying to get a good picture of what's happening. Good luck.

msquicci

Cadet

I have the same problem. I watched a mechanic start mine. He pulled out the choke, put it in gear, throttled it up, and pulled the cord 4-6 times. Then he returned everything to the start position. It starts that way, even in cold weather, in 4-6 pulls.

biggerthomas

Cadet

I have the same problem. I watched a mechanic start mine. He pulled out the choke, put it in gear, throttled it up, and pulled the cord 4-6 times. Then he returned everything to the start position. It starts that way, even in cold weather, in 4-6 pulls.

That sounds like an interesting trick. I'll try it tomorrow, as my 2000 8 hp is hard starting too. While it started the first pull on the first day of the season, since then it's been around 7-10 pulls. I don't understand why. I've changed all the plugs, filters, gas, cleaned the carb., you name it. It is just hard starting. Has anyone heard of any other "magic bullet" ways to start up these engines? They run great once they start, it's just that first hurdle that's a bear.

lexi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hard starting can sometimes be a valve clearance problem.........maybe check them.

Alex

lexi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many reasons my friend. Vibration coupled with error at factory or dealers and of course..........Gremlins:eek:

Alex

biggerthomas

Cadet

I'm getting it back this coming week so I'll let you all know how it turns out. The mechanic said something about compression so maybe it'll be a "quick fix"

biggerthomas

Cadet

I'm turning this piece of crap in this week and buying a Tohatsu. I brought it to the dealer and he said nothing's wrong with it. Then I get it home and after 22 pulls it doesn't start. My 7 year relationship with honda outboards is over.:mad:

JUSTINTIME

Captain

did you do the pull choke out turn to foward?

Frank Martin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

take it to a different dealer
sounds like there is some thing wrong , if it dont start two or 3 pulls or less . sounds like its flooding . does you motor oil have a smell of gasoline? .
I have seen quite a few of these motors with a bad thermostat collect gas in the motor oil . when this happens starting them is a problem they act like they are flooded All the time .
a small piece of debris can get stuck in the theremostat holding it open when this happens the motor never comes up to normal operating temperature the rings and pistons dont seal properly motor starts like dookie some times even fouls the bottm spark plug
its either that or gas was left in the carburaor and you are now i need of a carb cleaning or replacement
I am honda marine dealer in chicago been wrenching on motors all my life
dont think you can find a better motor than a honda , But like my dad used to tell me "if it has a skirt or wheels on it. its going to give you problems"
i belive he was talking about cars at the time and girls of course but he ment it to be any thing with a motor

biggerthomas

Cadet

Thanks for your replies guys...I had the carb professionally cleaned and now it starts in 2 pulls...thanks for all your advice.