Honda BF45A Rough idle, no power

dann03

Cadet
Idles rough, has no power in the water. Seems like if I choke it slightly it runs well enough to plane the boat, but quickly loses power as the choke vibrates back open. Has an intermittent dead cylinder. #2 went dead, checked it later, discoverd #2 was firing, and #3 was dead. This engine has sat for a couple years that I know of. Pulled the carbs, cleaned out all the varnish replaced the needle, and the bowl gasket. Did this, and put it in the water, and thats the point I noticed this other issue. Removed the carbs again, and completely dissasembled them, and I am positively sure that the jets are all clear. Fuel supply is good, filter is clear, new gas line, etc. Anybody see any intermittemt ignition issues with these? Am I missing something here with the carbs? Got a lot of time, money, and stress in this thing, any advise is greatly appreciated.. Dan

deepctrouble

Cadet
Re: Honda BF45A Rough idle, no power

If the carb is like my generators there is a tube that is up inside the bowl, has tiny holes in the sides that need cleaned out, its in the hole where the bowl screws in ,you might have to bang it on a block of wood to dislodge it , thats what i did it fixed mine.<br /><br />deepctrouble

dann03

Cadet

Seems like I really have to blow pretty hard to blow through that tube. I pulled the carbs again, made sure the jets were clear, cleaned it all up again. Put it in the water ran great for about 3 minutes, then back to the same ole thing. My question is, where is all this trash coming from? All new hoses, filters, cleaned out the fuel tank etc.

Skinnywater

Commander

Is #3 still dead? <br />Are you making any headway at all after 3x3 carb teardowns?<br />Is compressed air involved with those teardowns?<br />How many hours are on the sparks?

deepctrouble

Cadet

If you go to a honda dealer he should be able to print you a parts layout of the carb, the tube I spoke of comes out. mine in both honda gen's where brass.<br /><br />deepctrouble

dann03

Cadet

Found my problem. Pulled the carbs again today. Put them in to soak, again... This time I decided to flush out the fuel pump, hoses, and everything after the fuel filter. I was amazed at all the trash I got out of there. Appears as if I fixed the problem every time I had the carbs apart, only to clog them back up with trash out of the pump, and the hoses. Some of these pieces were as big as a pin head, maybe even larger. How can I go about ensuring that I get no more trash out of there?<br />Edit: Plugs are new, may have .5 hours.

Skinnywater

Commander

How can I go about ensuring that I get no more trash out of there?<br />
You can install a temporary inline filter after the pump. Or you can turn the motor over with a length of hose run from the pump to a catch container.