92 Honda 4 stroke coil???

itsbeal

Cadet
:eek: I have a 92 Honda 9.9 four stroke.(serial# BABL-1200694; model# BF9.9AM) About a year and a half ago, the coil went bad (or so it seemed) and I had it replaced. It seemed that the secondary windings in the coil went bad according to my mechanic. Here it is a year & a half later, and the blasted thing is doing the exact same thing as before. When running, it chugs real bad at times (but runs smoothly the rest of the time). It acts like its only hitting on one cylinder. I should also say that this is an intermittent problem. Like I’ve heard before, I thought these Hondas never have trouble. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :confused: <br />PS: anyone have a coil??

weluvlife

Recruit
Re: 92 Honda 4 stroke coil???

Hello itsbeal,<br /><br />I have a very similar problem with my Honda 9.9. Sometimes the engine will not start, untill I pull one leg of the coil wire. I hear a small spark when I do this. The motor fires up instantly and runs great. At random times the motor will just quit or will not start. It has run rough a few times in between.<br /><br />Have you received any help with this problem?<br /><br />My honda is also a mid 90's model.<br /><br />Take care,<br /><br />Mark

itsbeal

Cadet

Mark, Thanks for the reply. I was hopeing someone was going to reply to my post, and you're the only one. I've actually had mine to 2 different Honda Authorized dealers and they cant figure it out. You already know about the 1st one; an now for the 2nd. Since the last post, Ive taken it in to another; they put it in their tank and ran it for 3 hours and it wouldn't act up for them. They did tell me how to try and troubleshoot the problem, when it acts up, I'm to shut the motor down and un hook some wires that are supposed to eliminate the oil pressure safety switch and try to restart it. If it runs then we're getting somewhere. If not well, I'm back to square 1. What a drag! :confused: <br />Thanks, Mike

pheur

Recruit

Itsbeal, Have you unhooked those wires to the oil pressure safety switch?

itsbeal

Cadet

Hello itsbeal,<br /><br />I have a very similar problem with my Honda 9.9. Sometimes the engine will not start, untill I pull one leg of the coil wire. I hear a small spark when I do this. The motor fires up instantly and runs great. At random times the motor will just quit or will not start. It has run rough a few times in between.<br /><br />Have you received any help with this problem?<br /><br />My honda is also a mid 90's model.<br /><br />Take care,<br /><br />Mark

Sorry so long in getting back but I have fixed the problem. I ended up putting a new control module in it and it been fine ever since. I believe that was back in May or June of 06'.