water pump replacement tohatsu

tidesright

Cadet
I have changed a water pump on my 28 hp johnson and I will be changing my water pump on my 90 hp merc.(tomorrow). I have manuals for both of them and it was fairly easy. I purchased a water pump kit for a friend (ebay) who has a 40 hp tohatsu from the avalon group and my friend does NOT have a service manual. My question is are there any "tricks" I should be aware of or is changing a water pump pretty much the same from outboard to outboard?

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: water pump replacement tohatsu

Not sure what version of the 40hp that your friend has, but I did my 40C (2cyl 2 stroke) last year. It was very simple and very similiar to evinrude/johnsons I've done. While I didn't have any issues, you can see by a few posts here, that getting the lower unit off, is most of the battle. I don't remember any special procedures, but I did have a manual, and I did a pump kit replacement, not just empeller. <br /><br />PS: I did my first mercruiser pump kit, a few weeks ago. Very similiar to the outboards as well, just bigger and heavier.

tidesright

Cadet

We are doing a pump kit replacement and I think it is a 40c. <br />Thanks for the input

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Just be sure to drop the pin in the shift linkage and it will come apart easily. Impeller replacement is pretty straight forward.

bigskydrift

Petty Officer 2nd Class

On my little Nissan the impeller is right behind the propeller, piece of cake to change, no lower unit removal, takes 5 minutes. I dont know about the bigger Nissan / Tohatsu, but from what I have seen these are very user freindly motors for repairs.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

You will need to remove the 6 bolts (or is it 4) that hold the lower unit on. Also, as I stated above, remove the pin in the shift linkage and the lower unit will fall away. The rest of the impeller replacement is pretty easy.

screefer

Recruit

I have just replaced my water pump on a 50D and realized that I forgot to put the impeller key back in. How important is this piece and what is its function?
Also is there a proper direction for the impeller?

Thanks

pvanv

Admiral

The impeller key is what turns the impeller. It couples the impeller to the driveshaft. Without it, no pumping. You must have it, or you will get severe overheating very quickly.

Direction of the vanes is not important, as they will naturally follow the rotation of the driveshaft when the motor runs. We usually install the impeller on the shaft, and then gently lower the pump housing onto the impeller while turning the driveshaft (clockwise). Then the vanes are in the proper orientation.

Rtauzin

Recruit

You will need to remove the 6 bolts (or is it 4) that hold the lower unit on. Also, as I stated above, remove the pin in the shift linkage and the lower unit will fall away. The rest of the impeller replacement is pretty easy.

do you have to drop the lower unit a couple inches to get access to the pin?

sea_stork

Cadet

Follow the leading edge of your lower unit up the shank, till you see the exposed shift rod, it is stainless, where it goes down to the lower unit is a brass link with 2 spring pins... to gain best access motor should be in forward gear. Carefully press out the upper spring pin. Don't lose it or you will have to order one.