2002 Tohatsu steering issues?

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2002 40 hp tohatsu, every spring the steering is frozen on it, it isnt the motor, its the cable itself. Is this a common issue on these tilt tubes on these engines? I grease the heck out of it to no avail. :(

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 2002 Tohatsu steering issues?

If the cable keeps freezing up...Replace it. If the problem is that the end of the cable is freezing to the inside of the tube then the problem is that the tube has caked deposits inside of it. That can be from old grease that has hardened or debris. It's not the tube that's the problem. You just need to up the ante on your degree of maintenance.

Johnshan1

Well since the cable is only 2 years old I guess I need to pull the tube and clean. Do those grease fittings that you buy for the steering tube work well or not?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The ones that go on the end of the tube do help. They have an o-ring on the inside that wipes off the steering ram when you retract it into the tube. The best way to clean the tube is to buy a steering tube brush tool. You shoiuld be able to get one here at iBoats.

Johnshan1

Thanks for the reply, i ending up having to pound it out with a wooden block and hammer, due to my splashwell/transom design the steering tube can only be fully removed if you take the engine off (transom storage boxes and a steering cable that enters and exits in one of them). So I could only get 1/2 the tube out and cleaned, but it sure made a great difference. The steering is still tight, always has been takes 2 hand to comfortably steer, while my neighbor can use his finger :(

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's either a cable issue or a tube issue. You can always replace one or the other....Does the engine turn freely with the steering disconnected? If it does not then the swivel bracket needs to be lubed.