Can't get lower unit off 9.9 Nissan

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
I assume there are only four nuts and the shift rod to remove lower unit from my 1988 Nissan 9.9, is that correct? For the life of me I can't get it to seperate, wacked hard with hammer and block of wood, does not open up. Any ideas ????

FDS

Cadet
Re: Can't get lower unit off 9.9 Nissan

Fishon71: Read my thread, three down from yours, 15B2 Lower unit frozen. <br />I hope yours isn't frozer as bad as mine. But don't give up. If you find something that works better than what I tryed, let me know. ;)

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Okay I didn't give up. What I did was heat the bolt studs till red hot. This seemed to break down the corrosion factor between the stud and the casing. Then I wacked it good with a hammer and a block of wood, success she started to open enough to start working it off with screw drivers.<br /><br />Thanks

FDS

Cadet

Fishon71: Congratulations! I haven't had the nerve to do that yet, because I'm afraid of ruining some seals. However, when all else fails, I probably will end up doing that. You are a winner, :D

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

If used in the salt water its the corrosion on the studs that is stopping it from coming apart. The stud hole is teal tight on the stud and it is like super glued on with corrosion. I could see this once it was apart.<br /><br />There are no seals in the area of the studs.<br /><br />Good luck