Honda 8, gas in oil

msquicci

Cadet
I bought a Honda 8 in 99 to use as a kicker. After a short time of trolling, the engine poured out white smoke. The plugs were fouled and it had gas in the oil. The dealer said Honda doesn't put in a hot enough thermostat. They replaced it and it ran fine. <br /> Two summers ago the same thing happened. The dealer said they needed to put in smaller jets. <br /> I contacted Honda on several occassions to complain that they never warned me the engine could not be used for trolling, without modifications. They said they make engines for all uses, not just trolling, therefore they had no responsibility.<br /> How can I get Honda to step up to the plate?<br />KATL

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda 8, gas in oil

It's the DEALER's responsibility to deliver a properly running motor. Honda makes them, but a carbureted motor cannot be made to run in all places in all conditions. The same motors go to Alaska and Hawaii, Denver and Death Valley. They need fine tuning and Honda can't do that. Properly prepped, that motor will troll all day long and scoot when you want to, and anything inbetween.<br /> <br />After re-reading your post, I thought you might find this intertesing... making oil<br />If all that motor has ever done is troll, it isn't broken-in. You'll get gas leaking past the rings until they get good and seated. For that, the motor has to be run hard.<br /><br />Also, what is a short time? A few minutes/hours or several weeks? If a lot of gas got in the oil in just a few minutes or hours, the most likely source would be the fuel pump. It could also be your gas tank. If it's vented and you close the vent during downtime, pressure can build-up in the hot sun and force gas past the float valve and eventually into the oil.