Honda 8 kicker

msquicci

Cadet
I bought a Honda 8 in 99 to use as a kicker. After a short time of trolling, the engine poured out white smoke. The plugs were fouled and it had gas in the oil. The dealer said Honda doesn't put in a hot enough thermostat. They replaced it and it ran fine. <br /> Two summers ago the same thing happened. The dealer said they needed to put in smaller jets. <br /> I contacted Honda on several occassions to complain that they never warned me the engine could not be used for trolling, without modifications. They said they make engines for all uses, not just trolling, therefore they had no responsibility.<br /> How can I get Honda to step up to the plate?<br />KATL

msquicci

Cadet
Re: Honda 8 kicker

Thanks for the tip on opening the valve on the gas tank when it sits. I disagree about Honda not having a responsibility to inform me. Their manuel is filled with no-brainer warnings about gas can catch fire and don't back the motor into the dock. I'm concerned, regardless of where it is marketed, that the manuel does not tell the buyer that the motor cannot be used for trolling, a popular use for low hp engines, unless modifications are made, or that spark plugs will foul and raw gas will run down into the oil. The manuel cautions against running it above 3/4 throttle, but not at idle, or near idle speeds.

Capn Kirk

Cadet

Originally posted by katl:<br /> I bought a Honda 8 in 99 to use as a kicker. After a short time of trolling, the engine poured out white smoke. The plugs were fouled and it had gas in the oil. The dealer said Honda doesn't put in a hot enough thermostat. They replaced it and it ran fine. <br /> Two summers ago the same thing happened. The dealer said they needed to put in smaller jets. <br /> I contacted Honda on several occassions to complain that they never warned me the engine could not be used for trolling, without modifications. They said they make engines for all uses, not just trolling, therefore they had no responsibility.<br /> How can I get Honda to step up to the plate?<br />KATL

Capn Kirk

Cadet

I also had an 8 hp honda doing that!I went back and forth with dealer.Long story short, its a problem with up to something like 40hp motors if all you do is troll,which I did. It filled engine oil with gas till motor looked like she blew "3" times.About 18-20 hours of trolling.A guy I know had 2 doing this and wrote the state about this and he must have hit the right spot cause dealer called me and told me to bring it back.I had it a year by this time and they paid me in full with tax and rep told dealer not to sell me another motor.But did 90hp+luv it.Over 1800hrs trolling!! I'm told they fixed probem with this,but didnt want to take a chance.The 90hp was a proven motor and just trolls so sweet and efficient. Hope this helps

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The problem with trolling for long periods of time is thst the small motor does not run well at low RPM's and the excess unburned fuel ends up in the oil. You need to use a smaller pitch on the prop so the engine will run at a higher RPM and burn all of the fuel in the chamber. Ask for prop that is used to push a sail boat (displacement hull)with your small engine.<br />Nick

msquicci

Cadet

Sounds like good advice. With the modifications it seems to run fine. I'm just angry that Honda never included a warning in the manuel.