2002 honda BF 9.9 Exhaust Question

cmarshack

Recruit
I have a 2002 BF 9.9 and it seems that there is a small exhaust output port about 5 inches below the cowling seal. It is a short shaft and I am running it on a 9ft Caribe RIB. If I have the motor trimmed down, which is the only position that allows me to get the RIB on plane, this little exhaust output sometimes is under water. My questions is, can water get into this exhaust port? Is it OK for this port be under water? And what is the purpose of this port if most of the exhaust is through the prop? Any info would be helpful.

P2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2002 honda BF 9.9 Exhaust Question

The port you mention is allowing exhaust to travel from the mid-section through an exhaust plate into the exhaust chamber and out to atmosphere. The function I am unsure of - but I presume it is to keep the mid-section vented while at low speed or idle. (Not sure).<br /><br />The reason I know this is b/c I had a bad corrosion problem on this plate and chamber. You can read it on a link/post closeby "Honda stalls with cowling on".<br /><br />To try to answer your question - it seems salt water has entered mine and caused me a some work to replace those parts and repair the corrosion.

GWUISTER

Cadet
Re: 2002 honda BF 9.9 Exhaust Question

Working from memory here;-} I had one of these and I think I read in the owners manual that exhaust is deverted to the ports when in reverse to help the prop bite when backing up. <br />HTH -greg