Honda BF40 will not idle without choke

Bigguy

Recruit
I recently purchased a boat with a 2001 Honda BF40 Remote controls, 4-stroke, 40hp. The seller told me he last used the boat in Oct. 2005.<br /><br />The choke works fine to start the motor. If I release the choke the motor shuts down. I have made sure to warm the motor up and with the choke was able to reach 3800-4000 RPM.<br />Problem is that it will not Idle with the choke off. If I do the motor dies.<br />The only way it would work was like this...<br />On the lake my friend and I were testing it. With the cover off the motor, my friend would work the choke and accelerator, while I steered and put it in gear.<br />Even with this the motor was at minimal power.<br /><br />Thanks in Advance,<br />Bigguy

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Honda BF40 will not idle without choke

Sounds like the carbs are gummed up. Could be why he sold it. ;) Best way to fix that is to remove them and disassemble and clean them. Don't mess with the linkage screws and you'll have some chance of getting it back together still synchronized. Then again it may simply be out of synchronization and re-syncing is all it needs. That's something you have to have some specialized tools for.