Tohatsu 2-str 18 hp. What the best manual?

pna

Cadet
What manual you advise to bay for repairing and <br />serving Tohatsu M18E2 (2-stroke 18 hp 2002 year)?<br /><br />For my previos experience I going to bay some thing like this:<br /> https://www.buyprism.com/Products.asp?GRPID=4011 <br />Tohatsu 2.5 - 140 HP Two-Stroke Outboards, 1992-2000<br />Covers: The Tohatsu 2.5 - 140 HP Two-Stroke Outboard motors. <br />ISBN: 0-89287-792-8<br /><br />But my engine is 2002 year made.<br /><br />Is this book match to the engine or<br />I should look for another?<br /><br />Thanks.<br /><br />Nikolay, Sait-Petersburg, Russia.

John_S

Rear Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 2-str 18 hp. What the best manual?

I don't believe your engine changed, so that manual should be fine. I have the clymers manual, nissan version, which covers the same years. I have both a '80's 40C and '97 18E. the clymer's is good enough for doing most tune-up and trouble shooting. If I ever get into an area, not covered well by Clymers, would get the engine specific factory manual. There is no such thing as having too many manuals!<br /><br />For my mercruiser, I have both an aftermarket and factory manuals. Factory manual is better. <br /><br />OK, just noticed that you are from out of town! :rolleyes: Best, to wait to Elvin pipes in. The model numbers seem like US ones, but he IS the expert.

pna

Cadet

Thansk John for replay.<br />Yes, I look for factory manual for Tohatsu M18E2, but I can find only this link:<br /> http://www.internetoutboards.com/product_list.asp?id=27 <br />It seems to me, that there is no factory manual exactly for this outboard in the market.<br /><br />But anyway, aftermarket manual will be quite enough. <br /><br />-------------------------------------------<br />My first interest of this book will be dismantle flywheel to install alternator coil. I have practice in it with my Evirude 2-str 8 hp 94year, and like to know any particular feature of Tohatsu 18 hp in it. <br />In over fings Ouner's manual will be more than enough to rarely, accurately using <br />this outboard in summer in sweet water.<br />-------------------------------------------<br />Nikolay, Sait-Petersburg, Russia.

John_S

Rear Admiral

Look at Elvin's web site<br /><br /> or use the email their to contact him. If anyone has them, he will. Not sure what shipping will be to you, though! :rolleyes:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

The 18 E was only sold in the U.S. for a few months before it was replaced by the 4-stroke 18. I know that the U.S. never received any E manuals, but there may have been an international release that we have never seen. I'll check tomorrow.

pna

Cadet

Naw I know exectly that I need more information about repairing this outboard.<br /><br />Yesterday, then we test it I find that end of gearcase was broken off.<br />It look like it heppend during transport, in seems to be bowed, not by stroke with stone.<br />
DSC03665.jpg
<br /> http://www.top-cars.ru/DSC03665.jpg <br /><br />So I need to unscramble geargase and <br />use argon welding to restore it shape.<br /><br />I do not know how it will be serious.<br />It need 2 inch (5cm) welded seam (about 20$ in the auto garage).<br /><br />That is way cherry Toha 2-str 18 hp <br />is selling for 1300$. Compression is 11 bar(160 psi) after winter conservation, and 10 bar(145 psi) on warm engine, equale in both cylinders.<br /><br />In my local the new one (with official dealer guarantee) cost about 1700$ - 3 week wait <br />and 2200$ now from official dealer.<br /><br /><br />P.S. Sorry for big story.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

As luck would have it. Tohatsu released a new manual today(I swear that's true) that does have the 18 E model in it.

pna

Cadet

Very well, how can I bay it, if local dealler wouldn't have it?<br /><br />Or can you help me to see Lower Unit Disassembling/assembling diagram?

pna

Cadet

Thank you very much, for you help.