15 hp Honda water pump impeller replacement

gss036

Commander
I am about to try to change the impeller on my mid 90's 15 hp Honda.I asked the dealer and he said it was easy, but he would charge me for an hours labor($80), but said I should be able to do it w/o any problem. Looks to be simple, but sure would be nice to have a schematic to look at. Anyone know where I can find one online quickly? I haven't been to the library to look yet. The weather here is about 20 degrees and blowing 25-35 mph currently, so I will wait until it warms up a little bit.

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 15 hp Honda water pump impeller replacement

If you send me your email address, I will scan the pages out of my Honda Manual and send them to you..

dd716ted

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the page scanned that you requested.. Now I just have to figure out how to get it to you since I cannot add attachments or include pictures in this forum. Ted

gss036

Commander

Ted, thank you but I went to the library this morning and they had a manual. I came home and went to work on it, but have a bigger headache now. The shift rod doesn't want to unscrew and come apart, have it soaking. Then went on to the 4 bolts that hold the lower end on and got 3 out w/o any problems. The 4th started to to come and then "SNAP", it broke off where the threads start. So I now have created a bigger problem to figure out. I can't use the motor with the water pump not working properly, so fishing will have to wait or else just junk the old motor and buy another kicker. This one is about 13 years old (all saltwater use, probably 3,500 hours on it)and really doesn't owe me anything. Just thought I could keep it going a while longer.<br />Just a thought, even if I can't get the broken bolt out, I was wondering if I could run it with just 3 bolts holding the lower unit on? Any ideas??

gss036

Commander

I tried again this afternoon and the shift rod nut is still as tight as ever. Does anyone have any suggetions?/Help!<br />I think I can get the lower end off ok now if I can release the shift rod.

gss036

Commander

Still cannot get the nut to budge. Still soaking w/PB Blaster. Can I take it loose from the shift lever at the top(inside cowling) and slide it all the through lower leg to get it out?

gss036

Commander

Update, had to take it apart at the throttle linkage, which was simple to do. After getting the shaft into the vise and looking at it, I stopped. Whoever assembled the engine "cross threaded" the nut onto the shaft. Had to be at the factory since I bought it new and it has never been apart. The broken bolt issues is the same type of deal. My neighbor is a retired millwright from Georga-Pacific and upon examining it, says it was already 1/2 cut through when they cut the threads, another factory screw-up. I showed the dealer the bolt and he gave me new ones free, big deal! Now to get back and drill out the old one.<br />Just a side note, after 13 years, YES! it did need a new impeller.

gss036

Commander

Final note: Just came into the house for coffee after starting and running the Honda. Everything works great after all the interruptions. I am sure next time will be easier and sooner.