Honda 5hp Plug Fouling, Won't Warm Start

townsnda

Recruit
So I've got a 5hp Honda 4-stroke 2004... bought it used with a small sailboat about 2 months ago, ran it for about a hour on 2 occaisions... now its carbon fouling plugs (smell like gasoline) - some photos of the plugs are online:<br /> http://www.flickr.com/photos/70962112@N00/sets/1512774/show/ <br /><br />I don't think its oil - its a very dry kind of soot.<br /><br />In general though, this engine's behavior has also been really erratic.<br /><br />About a month ago, tried starting an it barely turned over, and did not respond to the throttle/wouldn't rev up. So I replaced a fouled plug and the engine ran good for about 15 minutes. Went home.<br /><br />Came back a week later and it wouldn't start at all.<br /><br />Came back a week after that and it started right up, ran well for 15 minutes, but then wouldn't restart warm. (This was an issue I had out sailing once and was the start of the troubles)<br /><br />What's the issue? Is the mixture too rich?<br />Should I use a higher temp plug? I am using the Honda recommended plug - the NGK BPR5ES<br /><br />I must add that I was using the original fuel from the previous owner... I imagine its as much as 6 months old.<br /><br />Step 1 will be to try new fuel and a new plug... but any other advice is much appreciated.

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda 5hp Plug Fouling, Won't Warm Start

The plugs looks like is running very rich. Check to make sure that the choke is not closing while the engine is running. You fuel being old will not help matters, but the engine should still run, unless the fuel smells reals bad. Check the fuel mixture adjustment on the carb, you might want start the engine in you slip and allow the engine to come to normal temp, then as the engine starts to miss, turn the mixture screw clockwise (to lean out the mixture)slightly until the eng runs smooth. You will know if you got it right when the engine idles in gear and does not stall.<br />Good luck, Nick

townsnda

Recruit
Re: Honda 5hp Plug Fouling, Won't Warm Start

thanks... will try... other suggestions welcome too..