'97 Honda 9.9 stalls when returning to idle

jayacobi

Recruit
My 9.9 4-stroke accelerates great and runs well at full throttle. It will only start w/ full choke, and stalls usually when I fully depress choke (even when warm) or when I return to idle after running at speed. <br />Q1-How do I properly adjust carb? (air-fuel mix screw and idle screw) <br />Q2-Help me diagnose remaining problem. I assume clogged carb, although visual inspection looks good.

Rod Holder

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: '97 Honda 9.9 stalls when returning to idle

Welcome to IBoats. This is a great forum.<br /><br />The symptoms you describe are classic carb-clog. I would reccomend removing it and disassemble/clean (carb cleaner and compressed air)<br />When you re-assemble, screw in the mixture screw until it bottoms out and back out around 2.5 to 3 full turns. Once started and full tempreture, if it will not idle, try screwing in one turn. If that makes it worse, return to original position and back it out one turn. Once it will idle, adjust either way to get best idle possible.<br /><br />Good luck.......RH

jayacobi

Recruit

Thanks. Cleaned carb and idles much better. Now to replace the impeller (minimal to no water at idle). I assume I pull the lower unit and it is sitting right on top? Anything else I should do at same time?

gss036

Commander

Maybe do a search for doing the impeller. Seems I like I remember some difficulty and trick in releaing the shift rod/shaft.