Cold blooded Honda

patfatdaddy

Recruit
I have a 1997 Honda 30 hp 4 stroke that is very cold natured. It is very hard to start the first time but starts just fine if you don't let sit to long. If I start it every hour or so it will start good all day. I bought it 3 years ago and the previous owner told me it was cold natured. I used it for about a year and took it to a Honda dealer to have it tuned up. They put in new plugs and wires and rebuilt the carbs. I still had the same problem and they told me that some motors were just that way.

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Cold blooded Honda

Is that motor a manual or auto choke?<br />assume this is tiller handle model?

patfatdaddy

Recruit

It has a choke but if I use it it is worse. It is not a tiller. I have a center console. It runs great once it starts and doesn't use hardly any gas. I really like it except for the cold starting problem.

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

try this: turn key to on position, lift fast idle arm as far as it will go.<br />you should hear a "click" as the auto choke <br />engages.<br />turn the key to start the engine while<br />holding the fast idle arm up.<br />this has never failed on a cold start for me.<br /><br />have you pumped the ball so the fuel line<br />is pressurized ?