Sunken Honda 30 hp

Rickyboy

Recruit
Hello, and thanks for taking time to read this. An old timer friend , sank his boat in heavy rains at a lake nearby. Long story short, did all that was necessary to purge motor, and now she's running fine, but now ,3 days later trim/tilt system no longer working. I dont know alot about these outboard motors, I am an I/O guy myself, but trying to help him out.I believe the motor is an 2003, or 2004. He was told to open a screw in the back, which bled oil out, so he could manually raise his drive and get into the garage, which he did. Battery is brand new, and all else functioning fine, so I don't believe power is the problem. Says, all he gets is a clicking sound when trying to actuate the trim. Any schematics availible for this system, or how about a plan of attack for narrowing this one down to the culprit. Also, how to properly re- bleed this system when its working again would be helpful . Thank you for any advise you may have.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Sunken Honda 30 hp

JMHO: Clicking sound is likely trim/tilt relay. Clicking is either relay not pulling in completely (verify connections make good contact) or the relay is pulling in but its contacts are bad (from being submerged) so it's not connecting power to the electric trim/tilt motor. The relay may not be pulling in because the trim/tilt switch contacts are bad from being submerged. Determine if the trim/tilt switch is supplying solid 12v to the relay, then determine if the relay is supplying solid 12v to the motor. If the switch, then relay, are good, then the motor may be bad. Good luck.

Rickyboy

Recruit

Hi all. I was told I could check for 12 volts between the large green wire, on one relay, and the large blue wire on the other relay, with a test light. Is this true? Also, are they talking about using the test light to jump the blue to the green to get 12 volts, or are they saying to check each one to ground, to find 12 volts? Kind of unclear about this.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

The schematic in the on-line 2004 BF30 owner's manual is very faint and hard to follow but if you're talking about the green and blue wires that go from the tilt relay to the tilt motor, then it looks like you should put the test light between them. Be aware that the polarity should flip-flop when you operate the trim switch, with one polarity to give power to the tilt motor in the up direction, the other in the down, but the schematic doesn't show which is which. You won't be able to see the polarity change with a test light, but the light should come on when you take the trim switch to either position.<br /><br />If you get 12V in both switch positions but no movement, then the motor looks to be dead. If no 12V then the tilt relay is suspect even though you hear it clicking; verify 12V on the white/yellow wire at the relay. If white/yellow has 12V then relay is bad. If no 12V on white/yellow then trace it looking for a bad connection. Black wire at relay should have good connection to ground.<br /><br />Good luck, let us know how you fare.

uaw9fan

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote "if you're talking about the green and blue wires that go from the tilt relay to the tilt motor, then it looks like you should put the test light between them. Be aware that the polarity should flip-flop when you operate the trim switch, with one polarity to give power to the tilt motor in the up direction, the other in the down, but the schematic doesn't show which is which."<br /><br /><br />Blue=Sky=Up <br />Green=Grass=Down