130 Honda, head/block crack question ?

cbnmo

Recruit
Hello All, and thanks for all the information found here. <br /><br />The cracks in the head/block, are they formed at casting or do they develop after some hours of running? If my engine was checked with 25 hours on it, shouldn't it be inspected again at some later point?<br /><br />Thanks

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 130 Honda, head/block crack question ?

Do you have one of the serial numbers involved in the service bulletin?<br /><br />HeadHunt

cbnmo

Recruit

Yes, if I remember right, it's a 1999, PIN# BZBE 1000384 <br /><br />Crankcase is BEBE 1000377 (or numbers real close to that).<br /><br />I bought it a year ago with little use, and no hour meter. Suppose to have been inspected. I will have to look and see if I can find the inspection sticker under the hood.<br /><br />I love the engine, no problems until last week, lost the impeller. I bought a Clymer manual and am waiting on impeller kit to come in.

HeadHunt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If I remember, Honda offered a one time inspection then a 10 year warranty. I would get the details from the inspection and make sure the additional warranty was documented. I do not know if the defect would show up after 25 hours. Talk to a dealer after you find the documentation. I did not think the 1999 models were part of the service bulletin.<br /><br />Good Luck,<br />HeadHunt

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do a search on this forum for 'BF130 cracked block' and you'll find all the info you need.

cbnmo

Recruit

Block/head inspection and VSP upgrade was done in March last year before I bought it. I'll call the dealer and ask about the warranty documentation. <br /><br />Reading the other posts, it appears the cracks don't develop until the engine has been worked hard and/or gotten hot. When I lost the impeller, the engine did get hot enough to sound the alarm and idle back the engine, hopefully not hot enough to initiate the cracks. From reading the threads here, I was able to replace my first impeller yesterday. <br /><br />If I don't develop any performance problems, I'm thinking it would be best to pay for a mechanic to do another inspection, a few months before the warranty runs out. Perhaps by then, I'll have learned enough from here to inspect it myself.<br /><br />Thanks.