Honda 50 4 stroke auto choke or carburetor problem?

kbcc

Cadet
I have purchased two new 50 hp Honda 4 stroke outboard motors to use on my glassbottom boat tour here in Kona – Hawaii. I am having some real problems and it seems my local dealer/ mechanic cannot come up with answers. I do not know where to turn, so am just throwing out this inquiry. The motors fire right up in the morning, and go for about a ½ hour at 3,000 rpm to the pier where we operate the boat doing glassbottom cruises. That’s where the trouble begins. The idle is jumpy, the motors throw out a carbon like exhaust, they die. And when started tend to jump and sputter at 2,000 rpms. When returning to the pier they often die. It’s like the choke is engaged or something, don’t know.<br />The oil is black, exhaust carbon like stuff is running down the legs, and the plugs are fouled after only a few hours. I replaced the wasted plugs after about 20 hours, and again yesterday…..now with about 8 hours on them I will again replace…That, along with the blackish oil. The local mechanic/dealer seems to think its in the carburetors and wants to rebuild them. Others think maybe something is amiss with the automatic choke.The boat is used for my business and I re-powered to get me through my two upcoming busiest months. The motors now have about 50 hours and this started almost from the beginning - and to both the same. Now I wish I had kept my Honda 25’s. Can anyone offer any advice or tell me who to ask, I am at a loss. CAN ANYONE OFFER ANY ADVICE OR TELL ME WHO TO ASK-I AM AT A LOSS

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 50 4 stroke auto choke or carburetor problem?

Hey Ralph - I don't know what's causing the problem with your motors and won't guess, but I know someone who can figure it out for you. If you're willing to spend the 'dime' call Craig on Oahu at 551-2139. He's a registered Honda technician and takes good care of lotsa guys' Honda outboards, including mine. On Oahu he'll come service your motor at your house. If worse comes to worst for you, maybe you can get him to go over to the Big Island. Good luck.

dobers

Cadet

just a suggestion you might try different fuel we have had some problems like yours in the shop reciently we drained the carbs and switched over to our tanks and the problems cleared up the fuel in the there tanks looked great but there was somthing wrong with it good luck

kbcc

Cadet

Originally posted by dobers:<br /> just a suggestion you might try different fuel we have had some problems like yours in the shop reciently we drained the carbs and switched over to our tanks and the problems cleared up the fuel in the there tanks looked great but there was somthing wrong with it good luck
YEP,,did that, and nope-still black carbon like junk at exhaust on leg. Still black looking oil only a couple hours after change, and still fouled plugs hours after replacing.<br />Motors stall out, and the only way I can keep them going is to get up to approx. 3,500rpm to be able to come to idle once again. Thanks for the suggestion.

kbcc

Cadet

Originally posted by pchonda:<br /> Hey Ralph - I don't know what's causing the problem with your motors and won't guess, but I know someone who can figure it out for you. If you're willing to spend the 'dime' call Craig on Oahu at 551-2139. He's a registered Honda technician and takes good care of lotsa guys' Honda outboards, including mine. On Oahu he'll come service your motor at your house. If worse comes to worst for you, maybe you can get him to go over to the Big Island. Good luck.

kbcc

Cadet

Originally posted by pchonda:<br /> Hey Ralph - I don't know what's causing the problem with your motors and won't guess, but I know someone who can figure it out for you. If you're willing to spend the 'dime' call Craig on Oahu at 551-2139. He's a registered Honda technician and takes good care of lotsa guys' Honda outboards, including mine. On Oahu he'll come service your motor at your house. If worse comes to worst for you, maybe you can get him to go over to the Big Island. Good luck.

yukon72

Cadet

Why is the dealer not servicing for you? You said they were new.<br />I have heard of needle and seats being a problem on Older 50hp were the gas actualy drains into the crank case somehow? Just an idea?

kbcc

Cadet

The dealer has tried...and not come up with an answer, so I am looking to see if anyone else has had this problem with the 2006 50's. From my inquiries, calling dealers on the mainland, they sound like good engines-once they work.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

we've had a lot of problems with that same style of choke but mostly on the 20's,25's and thirties but your 50 has the same choke....Honda has autho'ed complete replacement of the carbs on our engines :cool:

kbcc

Cadet

Thanks for the comeback. Today my Honda mechanic<br />rebuilt the carbs and checked the fuel pump. I changed oil (still black) and replaced plugs (still fouled) and replaced fuel tanks (6 gal)in hopes that tomorrow will be a better day. If the motors still act up, the trail will be narrowed.