Honda 45 tilt motor

Flounder pounder

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought a new tilt motor on here for my 1993 Honda 45 4-stroke. Anyone have any hints in removing the old motor, installing the new and it looks like a wiring match up problem.<br /><br />Any comment would be appreicated.

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda 45 tilt motor

Hey flounder, I've got a shop manual for that motor, send me an e-mail with a mailing address and I'll shoot you the chapter on the tilt motor.<br /><br />cvinroot@gmail.com<br /><br />Charlie

Flounder pounder

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Charlie!<br /><br />What you sent was great.<br />Of course it brought up another question.<br /><br />Why in the world would the assembly/disassembly instructions say that the motor must be lying on its right side for this operation?<br /><br />Thanks in advance.

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice

After looking at the diagram on pg 13-3, it would appear that that is where the connectors are that you have to take apart. If the motor is lying on that side, you can't get to them. If the motor is tilted all the way up, you should be able to get to the tilt/trim motor just fine.<br /><br />Charlie

Flounder pounder

Seaman Apprentice

I think your right Charlie.<br />It's strange they say to rest it on its right side.<br />It only looks like 2 things to disconnect. The upper cyclinder pin and the #10 hex bolt.<br /><br />Then I've got to disconnect the power tilt motor connector and the trim angle sensor connector.<br /><br />Neither of which seem to want to unfasten. I try to be patient.<br /><br />John

cvinroot

Seaman Apprentice

John, there are little detent type things on the side of the side of the connectors. They may be underneath. Be patient and pry slowly!<br /><br />Charlie

Flounder pounder

Seaman Apprentice

Removing the tilt motor was not easy.<br />You have to also loosen the right side steering cap and both right side securing bolts.<br /><br />You don't have to lay the motor on its right side.