Honda 7.5 Exhaust gases

Brianfi

Recruit
Hi All,<br />My honda 7.5 runs fine with the cowl cover off, when it is on, the engine dies. The exhaust gas seem to choke the engine. Now for the big question how do I get to and replace the exhaust gasket. Do pull the block off from the top? Do I come from underneith? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated as I am not sure how to tackle it.<br />Regards,<br />Brian.

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda 7.5 Exhaust gases

i had same problem with my 8hp honda<br />had to replace the bronze exhaust tube as well as the gaskets.<br />the way it is designed you have to pull the head off to get to it. So you also need a new head gasket.<br /><br />Check the tube to see if it is rotted through<br />as this is the most expensive part.<br /><br />Make sure you mark your flywheel with a white<br />marker, so you get your timing right when you <br />reassemble.

Brianfi

Recruit

Thanks Scotty. I wasn't sure how to get at it before. <br />Thinking about the problem a bit more, it may well be the tube that is failing.<br />Yes, I'll mark the flywheel or else I may be asking a heap more questions about setting the timing.<br /><br />Thanks very much for your help.<br />Best regards,<br />Brian.

vikingham

Cadet

You've probably checked this, but just to ask....you're sure that the air intake path in the cowl isn't blocked up somehow?

Brianfi

Recruit

Hi Vikingham,<br />The cowl is not blocking the air flow. The cowl has the hole for the pullstart and there are no other vents in it. You can see the exhaust fumes bellow out when the cover comes off so the problem is elswhere. I have also checked the gasket at the inlet Manifold and it is OK. The problem is below the block.<br />Thanks for your input though, it all helps as I have missed obvious problems before.<br />Regards,<br />Brian.

MOTION LINE

Seaman

What if the timing isn´t marked, forgot to mark, can´t see any factory marks anywhere on the flywheel, and another question is setting the valve clearence??

khc1970

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bet you have the same prob as my 75. There's a hole in the exhaust. <br /><br />I fill the space with water and the outboard runs fine (the water will leak out over a short time).