Rough running, gas leak at mid-RPMs, Honda 90

vikingham

Cadet
Hi - longtime reader, first time poster....thanks in advance for any information anyone might have!<br /><br />Our boat has, for various reasons, been sitting at the dock for most of the last six weeks or so, during which time we've had a lot of very hot weather (weeks in the mid-90s). We've had it out twice in that time, once about three weeks ago, and then again today. <br /><br />Both times, the engine (1998 Honda 90 o/b, with 4 carburetors) started and idled fine, but then ran rough between about 1200 and 2000 RPM. Seemed fine at higher RPM, and never hesitated or failed to respond when asked to accelerate. Three weeks ago, the roughness was evident when we were setting out, but not on the way back (about an hour each way). Today we noticed the roughness when heading out, and also got a gasoline smell during the rough running so we went back in - but did check and make sure that the engine ran OK at higher RPM, right up to WOT. <br /><br />Back at the dock we took the cowl off and (literally) sniffed around inside; both my wife and I are pretty certain that the fuel odor was coming from the lowest of the four carbs. We tried revving the engine at the dock using the choke, and it ran fine - but the gas smell at the lowest carb was more evident after doing this. Also, on some of the surfaces near the lowest carb, there was a thin but detectable layer of sticky brown gunk.<br /><br />Any theories on what might be going on here? I notice in my service manual that there's a "mid-range circuit" in the carbs that sends fuel through bypass holes in the 1/8 - 3/8 throttle range, which is about where we're having the problem - could these holes be clogged? Someone else suggested that a carb float could be sticking open, causing that carb to overfill, which could cause the mixture to be too rich and excess gas to leak out.<br /><br />I was thinking of running some carb cleaner through the engine, at least as a first step, but I wonder if a full carb service is in my future....thanks in advance for your input!

MajBach

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Rough running, gas leak at mid-RPMs, Honda 90

the fact that it was coming from the lowest carb: maybe fuel on the bottom of the housing, not carb? One idea comes to mind (and I am no mechaninic), my fuel hose - ever since I purchased the boat/motor new - has never seated properly where it attaches to the motor. For example, if I am priming the bulb and I jiggle the fuel hose slightly near the connection, fuel will spray out. I am wondering if you are getting air in here at this point. ALthough, the if you have fuel in the carb bowls this shouldn't matter.<br /><br />I know nothing of this mid-range circuit you talk about but the fact that it runs at idle and at WOT brings another possibility to mind as I had the exact same problem on a motorcycle once. It turned out to be the resistor in the spark plug cap. Don't know if O/Bs have them though.<br />Also, recalling a similiar problem from motorcycles I have owned, also with multi carbs: try spraying some WD-40 onto the gaskets of the carbs when the erratic running occurs. If it smooths out, you know you are sucking in air.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Tighten all hose clamps. Like the Maj said check the connector. If the hose bulb doesn't stay firm after you pump it up replace the whole fuel line it's not that expensive but it relieves headaches. After thatr run come good fuel conditioner though it, Sea Foam is the best, mix it heavy the first few tank fulls then add according to the directions, every time you fill er' up.<br /><br />lee

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same problem from time to time on my 75HP enginge. The float will stick open on one of the carbs causing engine to run rough. The easiest way to deal with it is to start the motor, remove the fuel line at the engine quick connect. Let the engine almost run out of fuel,while tapping on the offending carb, then reconnect the fuel line. You may have to do this more that once. If that doesn't clear the trouble, you can drain each carb from the float bowl as the engine is running. That will allow any contaminat to flow out of the carbs. Use a hose from each drained carb into a clean container, to see what kind of crud is in the carbs. Good luck.<br />Nick

vikingham

Cadet

Hey, thanks, Nick! I think you're exactly right on the situation - one carb (#2) was sticking open. I sort of figured that if one was starting to do this, the others would probably be not far behind, so I'm having all four cleaned (hopefully) this coming week. Also going to change the filters just in case.<br /><br />Your technique sounds like it would work - other people have mentioned it, and if I had more time I'd give it a shot...but we need to get ourselves into cruise-worthy condition before the season slips away, so I'm throwing a bit of $ at the problem.<br /><br />Really appreciate the input - and I'll let everyone know how it works out!