Honda 9.9 "coughs"/stalls after 5 min of w.o.t.

taxtwit

Recruit
Starts & restarts well and generally runs smooth, but engine starts to miss/stall after running wide-open for 5-10 minutes. Some possibilities that occurred to me:<br /><br />1. air leak in fuel line - but this seems unlikely, given the coughing/stalling doesn't start until roughly the same time, i.e. 5-10 mins of w.o.t.<br /><br />2. carburator gummed up - but I've run some "seafoam" through the carb and performance generally improved (better starts/restarts, smoother idle, etc.). I'm no mechanic, but I'm not sure what kind of carb issue (clogged jets, stuck float) would create this symptom anyway.<br /><br />The fact the symptom seems to occur consistently at the same time after a few minutes of operation leads me to think it's some kind of "overheating" issue - fuel pump?<br /><br />Any comments or other suggestions as to what might be causing the problem would be much appreciated.

GWUISTER

Cadet
Re: Honda 9.9 "coughs"/stalls after 5 min of w.o.t.

I had that same engine and the same problem. It turned out to be a bug crawled inside the crankcase breather tube and plugged it up. The engine ran great until crankcase pressures built up and then it stopped. Finaly ran it until the breather tube went pop and then it ran normaly.<br />Check it out.<br />Greg