honda 50 impeller replace?

brh

Recruit
brand new boat owner. bought '98 honda 50. want to do some general maintenance. thought i would change oil/filter, replace plugs, lube gears. noticed that dash indicator light shows engine hot for about 10-15 seconds after stop and restart. perhaps just needs to get water circulating again after restart. noticed last time had the boat out, dash showed hot running even at low rpm. first time ever showed hot while underway. motor peeing fine. thought i would replace the impeller. good idea? what's involved. don't have a service manual.

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: honda 50 impeller replace?

Gringo,<br /><br />Welcome to the boards :D <br />I'd suggest you pick up a basic shop manual. They sell them here at the top of the page. They're not expensive, about 30 bucks.<br /><br />As for the waterpump change, you can search this forum and find detailed instructions on how to do this but in a nutshell here's how its done. The impeller should be changes every 2 years as part of routine maintenance.<br /><br />1. Unbolt the lower unit.<br />2. Locate and unscrew the shift nut from the shift rod. Its located below the pivot mount on right above the lower unit. Make sure you mark where it is so you can get the linkage back correctly.<br />3. Slide the lower unit off of the engine. (I recommend you leave 1 bolt in until you get the shift linkage removed. If not, the lower unit could unexpectedly drop and get damaged.<br />4. Remove the water pump bolts and slide off of the shaft.<br />5. Replace impeller, making sure blades face the correct way.<br />6. Reattach waterpump housing and bolt tight.<br />7. Apply marine grease to the drive shaft upper splines. (so it comes out easy next time)<br />8. Reattach lower unit.<br />9. Reconnect shift linkage.<br />10. Check you work.<br /><br />Total time, even for a novice is about 30 minutes.<br />I have a honda 40 and I can do it in around 10 minutes start to finish.<br /><br />Like I said, do a search and you can find really detailed instructions if you need them.<br /><br />Enjoy,<br />Nav :cool:

brh

Recruit

Thanks for the info. Just went out to the boat this evening for a sunset cruise. Cranked up motor and it is not peeing at all. Removed water line tube and blew in it to see if line was clogged and it was fine. When I dismantle to replace impeller, it there anything else I should do or check?

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer

Pull the t-stat and take a look inside the block at the cooling passages. If it has been run in salt, there could be potentialy a bit of build up in there.<br />It only takes a couple of minutes and it will give you piece of mind.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

scotty c

Petty Officer 2nd Class

just had the same problem with my bf50 <br />get a can of compressed air from a computer shop<br />start the motor on flush ears, pull the water <br />discharge tube and blast the compressed air<br />up the tube.<br />this worked for me, the motor started peeing<br />a hard stream, and no overheat.