Honda's dont need to be running to Flush...Is there a downside?

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Hi All,<br /><br />I just got back from a day at water, and at the launch ramp I noticed a fellow with a brand new Honda on his Whaler. <br /><br />He pulled his rig over to the boat wash area and hooked up the hose to the engine. Honda's don't have to be run to flush? I don't know Honda's at all...so I am asking the question.<br /><br />Instead of the usual muffs arangement, his Honda had a hose hookup, and with the water running it flushed....engine off.<br /><br />I got to thinking...is that cool or what...why didn't outboard mfgs think of that a long time ago...it just seems so simple and obvious...no need for muffs and no need to run the impeller...just let the pressure of the water do the job.<br /><br />But, it there a downside to this somehow? Is the flush somehow less thorough? Honda owners please comment.<br /><br />Thanks for reading...Chuck

Navigator

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Honda's dont need to be running to Flush...Is there a downside?

This method of flushing's been around for a long time. The large Yammi's have it as do the Johnson's I believe. Yes its easier, but I'd still rather use the muffs myself. Flushing via a port will flush the head passages, but it doesn't flush the water pump assembly. A lot of times the water pump will inhale silt and other debris at the boat ramp. The water around the ramp is usually churned up from all the trailer traffic. The manual my say differently, but I prefer to flush ALL of the passages when I flush. Salt is a killer. I also like to run the engine while flushing to the point where it warms up and the T-stats open. This way they get flushed too, as well as the cooling passages hiding behind them.<br /><br />Nav :cool:

SeaKaye12

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, I was wondering about the thermostat issue...I was wondering how cold water would get past them.

BF130

Seaman

I'm almost certain that the flush fitting flushes everything, including the block. The t-stat does not need to be open - ergo the purpose of the high-pressure relief valve. If you're concerned about salt, then use Saltaway when flushing.