Honda 2004 8hp choke trouble

marcfish

Cadet
I purchased a left over 2004 8hp high thrust to use as a trolling motor this year. Sometimes when it starts it's great. Other times it starts, runs for about 5 seconds bogs down and floods. Other times I have to start it 3 or four times to keep it running. Sounds like the auto choke to me. Do you think I'm right? I've had it in for service once with no luck. The unit is electric start with power trim and there is no manual choke on the controls. :cool:

pwiseman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 2004 8hp choke trouble

I posted a similar question and the answers I took away were:<br />1. DOn't use premium fuel<br />2. Make sure you pump the ball<br />3. Turn the throttle handle from idle to full throttle a few time before turning it over.<br /><br />Have not had time to try that yet, but tommorow is fishing time. Good Luck.

dale fishman

Recruit
Re: Honda 2004 8hp choke trouble

I purchased a left over 2004 8hp high thrust to use as a trolling motor this year. Sometimes when it starts it's great. Other times it starts, runs for about 5 seconds bogs down and floods. Other times I have to start it 3 or four times to keep it running. Sounds like the auto choke to me. Do you think I'm right? I've had it in for service once with no luck. The unit is electric start with power trim and there is no manual choke on the controls. :cool:

I have problems with my 2002 Honda 8HP. The choke seams to stick open. The gas is evident in the rising of the oil level on the dip stick. How do you clean out the choke?