Honda 130 cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

vixman

Recruit
When I run the engine through all speeds, the only water I see coming from the tell-tale is a small drip occassionaly. I'd expect the engine to overheat quickly but nothing happens. Last week, I ran it for 10-15 minutes at top speed to see whether it would overheat - no overheating but still no flow. Could it be possible that it's not hot enough yet for thermnostat to open? It's a 2000 model.Water pump was replaced Spring 2004.

BF130

Seaman
Re: Honda 130 cooling

You likely have a sand clog at the tel-tale opening. The hose is easy to remove along with the plastic part that exits the cowling. I've done mine twice in the last year.

cp

Petty Officer 1st Class

Agree with BF130 - you've most likely got a clogged tell-tale.<br /><br />The first simple thing to try is to push something thin up into the opening to dislodge any clog that might be right there; some use a piece of wire, but I find the perfect thing is an old plastic spray tube like used on a can of WD-40. The plastic tube is the right diameter and, being plastic, is flexible and won't puncture anything.<br /><br />If working that tube in and out of the pee-hole opening doesn't result in a stronger stream of water, then you'll have to go under the cowling and start taking stuff apart. Pay especially close attention to the tee fittings in the line since scale tends to build up there. A good blow with compressed air should get most of it out, but you may need to probe into the tees to break loose any built-up stuff. Be careful to securely put everything back together - you don't want a hose coming off a tee and filling under your cowling with water.<br /><br />Good luck.

vixman

Recruit

Thanks Good advice. It was the tee fitting that was clogged but it cleaned uo easily. Thanks for the help.

tgercat

Recruit

CP, Thanks very much!

I have been having a similar problem with very little or no water coming out of the tell-tale. I had changed the impeller/housing/gaskets on my BF115 last fall hoping that this would solve the problem.

This spring there was no improvement during my first run. I had checked the tell-tale tubing and it was clear. I was about to take my boat to a Honda service rep when I came across your post. Sure enough the T-fitting closest to the discharge tube was encrusted with sand and debris. A simple cleaning with a stiff wire dislodged all the crud. The water stream is now as good as mine after half a dozen cold ones.:D

Thanks very much... you saved me an unnecessary and likely expensive trip to Honda!

Try-tooner

Recruit
I have a different issue but the other side of the same coin, sort of. Water seems to be coming out of too many places. I just bought a 2003 BF130. Both pee holes and the prop exhaust are running water no problem. But there is also a hole in the cowling between the pee holes with water flowing pretty solid. And there is what looks like a tiny bolt/screw head forward of the "wash" bolt with a small flow. Another related question - I have what is clearly a barbed tube connector above and between the pee holes. It is about 7/8 inch long and is connected to nothing. A missing tube does seem a cause for concern. Any help would be appreciated.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have a different issue but the other side of the same coin, sort of. Water seems to be coming out of too many places. I just bought a 2003 BF130. Both pee holes and the prop exhaust are running water no problem. But there is also a hole in the cowling between the pee holes with water flowing pretty solid. And there is what looks like a tiny bolt/screw head forward of the "wash" bolt with a small flow. Another related question - I have what is clearly a barbed tube connector above and between the pee holes. It is about 7/8 inch long and is connected to nothing. A missing tube does seem a cause for concern. Any help would be appreciated.

Please start a new thread with your questions. This one is long dead and oldies are ignored by our members. A new thread gets you results.

Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.