Honda impeller problem

we have changed several impellers in our boat motors that have been merc motors. this honda is really puzzling. how do you get the gear shift rod through the main housing? we pulled the pin, and it's hanging up on the rubber peice halfway down the housing. Is there some kind of trick???<br /> The motor is and older one, the boat is a 1986 searay seville, but we are sure the motor is older than the boat. the serial number is B100L (or maybe this is the model#) 1302909 we cant find any book on it, and would really like to go fishin next weekend

BF130

Seaman
Re: Honda impeller problem

Look on Ebay and Boats.net for a manual. Or just call a Honda dealer - likely will be helpful over the phone.

pondhopper

Seaman Apprentice

Hey joe-n-elen,<br />I had the same problem. I left it hanging and changed the impeller without taking off the entire lower unit. I bought a SELCO manual but it wasn't much help. The manual wasn't specific enough for the older B100s. I'd like to know what you find out. I may have to replace my impeller again, and would like to take off the entire lower unit. Good luck

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, we are going to take the motor to Rob R. and have him figure it out. The shaft end has a knob on it, so how did pondhopper get the impeller on ? This entire situation is so frustrating, makes a person feel..well, to be honest-stupid!<br />I'm sure that Rob will tell us how to fix it, so when he gets it done we will for sure let ya know!!<br />All the boat repair places around here that we've talked to do not sell honda motors, and the place I called in SLC is "on vacation" so havn't had any luck picking a brain from here either.

pondhopper

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to drop the lower unit down about 8 inches. This allowed me enough room to pull the impeller housing etc. If you don't disconnect the gear shift rod up by the gear shift you are only able to pull it down about 1/2 inch. But it sounds like you already did this. I've always wondered how to disconnect the entire lower unit. If you do get it figured out be sure to update.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Joe- your motor is a 1981...from looking at the parts diagram I can't tell how the shift rod joint(at top of shift shaft) comes off but there is no pin or screw so it must unscrew :cool:

Still havn't taken the boat to the repair dude, and decided to just slide the inpeller up the shaft to replace it.<br />Will let ya know when we figure out how to get the lower housing off!!<br />Went fishin' anyhow, and caught a small mac 5 or 6 lbs but it's reallly slow, water is getting too hot!!

Opa

Recruit

Originally posted by joe-n-elen:<br /> Still havn't taken the boat to the repair dude, and decided to just slide the inpeller up the shaft to replace it.<br />Will let ya know when we figure out how to get the lower housing off!!<br />Went fishin' anyhow, and caught a small mac 5 or 6 lbs but it's reallly slow, water is getting too hot!!

Opa

Recruit

This may be too old to help, but if you unscrew the top of the shift rod (where the cotter pin goes through) then you can slide the lower unit off completely!