Honda 90 Water Pump Repair/Replace

Haystack

Recruit
My 2001 Honda 90 started over temp on higher rpm's today. The water stream is not full out and sometimes stops at higher rpms, which i assume means that I have to replace/repair the water pump and/or impeller.<br /><br />Any one out there done this and is it ok to do if you are fairly mechanical? Also, are there any tricks to replacement and other things I should do while I am in there?<br /><br />I also replaced my lower unit oil or I should say sludge last week. Water has gotten in, so do I need to replace the lower seal or is there an upper one that might be giving me both problems.<br /><br />I have around 1900 hours on my motor and not had any problems w/ the pump. I run a charter which accounts for the higher hours.

pondhopper

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Honda 90 Water Pump Repair/Replace

I have a similar problems with a much smaller honda engine. I think I have it figured out...My impeller housing is chipped and allows water to escape. I just ordered parts. I'll let you know of I corrected the problem after I replace the impeller housing.<br /><br />The impeller is a pretty easy job. I'd buy a manual. The SELCO manual is okay, but lacks detail. You may want to try the other kind. They are on ebay for 25 bucks.

Haystack

Recruit
Re: Honda 90 Water Pump Repair/Replace

I already had to replace the water pump and it was very simple. You have to remove 5 bolts, including the one in front of the trim tab and put the shift in Neutral and it drops right down. Get the whole water pump kit. It is only 125-150.00 and has new gaskets, housing and impeller. I had 2000 hours on my engine before it started to go south and will not replace it every 1,000 whether it needs it or not. There is also an upper seal that goes to the lower unit that is included in this kit. If you engine overheats it can warp the plastic housing on the water pump and cause water to get into the lower unit. My local Honda tech also said that replacing the seals on the plugs will stop water intrusion. I've had my engine since 2001 and still like it, but run premium and have a water fuel seperator. When I ran regular, I had a carburation problem and debris.