130 hp Honda noise in nuetral.

8up

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I just got back from a test drive on a boat a friend of mine wants to buy. The boat has a 2000 130 hp Honda 4 stroke(BF130 I believe). The engine made a very slight "whirling" type of noise while in nuetral. The owner said that it has always made that noise. It sounded to us like it comes from the gear case. For what it's worth, the controls were a little stiff. I know nothing about these motors and didn't know if it was a normal characteristic. The motor ran great and has 5 years left on the warrenty. Any thoughts would be great.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Scott

BF130

Seaman
Re: 130 hp Honda noise in nuetral.

The cables are likely kinked just outside the cowling. Happened to me and had my dealer install 'premium' ones with less memory and the difference is tremendous.<br /><br />The warranty relates to a problem these motors had with cracked heads. Honda extended coverage out ten years. That's all it will cover, not the ordinary 'stuff' that you would expect.

BF130

Seaman
Re: 130 hp Honda noise in nuetral.

Another thing to check is that the start key switch is not sticking in the 'start' position. I had to have that replaced too as mine stuck in start and burned up my starter. Didn't make that grinding sound like an automotive starter - so couldn't tell it was happening until it was too late. These starters are $500-$600 for just the part. But your 'wine' sound is likely the gearbox not completely in neutral due to bad cables.